Windows 7 Release on Oct 23rd 2009?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of you installed W7 on a Mac. If so, how it runs? Is it easy making a dual boot install on a Mac? Any additional tools needed? I recall that when Apple moved to Intel processors, having a dual boot required bootcamp or something like that, but I don't know if that's easier nowadays.

I'm considering to get a MacBook Pro, the 13" one with 4Gb RAM. They come with Leopard, but I suppose I may get the offer for Snow Leopard. BTW these Macs are 32 or 64 bit machines? It'd be my first Mac, so please excuse my bleeding ignorance :-[

Well, you'd need an OS loader and between that and automating setting up extra partition (and some communication between partitions), that's pretty much what BootCamp is. So you still need that if you want to use both OSs in non-emulation mode. You can use Parallels or VMWare otherwise or use nothing to install W7 or OSX only.

New Macs would be 64-bit capable, but Snow Leopard would install 32-bit by default unless you forced it.

And the 13" MBP is my favorite at the moment too.

Using Boot Camp to install Windows 7 on your Mac: The Complete Walkthrough - Simple Help

• 1 month later...

Installed Windows 7 today. As primarily a Linux user I'll say this: it's not bad at all. I also realized how much I take for granted some simple abilities on Linux/BSD systems... case in point it took me much longer than I expected just to find some software to mount a NTFS drive image so I could pull some files from the old Windows XP install. Most of the software I found only worked properly for CD/DVD images. It's very nice to have window grouping on Windows too now, and I love the little window preview thing to be able to pick the right one or just glance at another one for something. There are a couple things I use heavily in KDE but haven't seen how to do in Windows 7 yet: virtual desktops, and a side-by-side preview of all windows for switching tasks (similar to the preview in alt-tab, but as big as the screen will allow and doesn't require touching the keyboard).