Windows 7 Release on Oct 23rd 2009?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know that the ability to remove IE would be in the US release. I thought it was only going to be available in the EU release of W7 where IE will be excluded. Interesting... the option not to load IE may be there but I wonder whether MS agreements with US OEMs will allow them to do so.

I might have to try un-installing it in the beta, as the one annoying program I have to use in Windows uses IE to load ads, which I get around by using Privoxy or else just setting a non-existent proxy for IE/Internet options. I think though un-installing it won't remove the ads, going by that Lifehacker article.

I wonder if the release of Mac OS X Snow Leopard was deliberately timed to steal the thunder of Win 7 by having a September release date.

Then what about trying 125%?

I know a lot of work was done to improve text readability, and that's the reason Segoe UI typeface was introduced in Vista (newly coded Vista/W7 resources most likely utilize Segoe UI while pre-Vista resources most likely have not been updated with the new typeface). I don't think there has been any US font changes between Vista and W7.

The only other thing I can think of is for you to try another display (assuming you're using a desktop).

You might want to make sure you have the right drivers for your graphics card rather than the generic one(s?).

good idea.

Another possibility assuming it's an LCD screen, make sure it's running at it's native resolution. If your running it a lower rez that could easily explain the fuzzy/blurry text.

Its working at its native resolution. I guess I'm just a picky bastard :P

Two things I love about W7... first, yes, I agree about the taskbar and second, the speed at which my notepad connects to known networks. It seems almost instantaneous as I take my notebook from home network to corporate wireless -- much faster than Vista and more reliable connections.

Two things I love about W7... first, yes, I agree about the taskbar and second, the speed at which my notepad connects to known networks. It seems almost instantaneous as I take my notebook from home network to corporate wireless -- much faster than Vista and more reliable connections.

I have Intel 2200BG wifi in my laptop and it connects instantly to my WPA2 network on start up with XP Pro. Using XP to configure the wifi instead of Intel's utility.

My younger brother told me about some special marketing price for the upgrade versions only, don't know if any of you are interested. It's only when you pre-order though (excerpt follows):

Preorder Windows 7 cheaply

In select markets, Microsoft is offering its customers the ability to preorder Windows 7 upgrade versions at a significantly reduced price. This is easily the most aggressive pricing Microsoft has ever offered for Windows. The low preorder price will vary per country:

[*]US: Windows 7 Home Premium ($49.99) and Windows 7 Professional ($99.99)

[*]Canada: Windows 7 Home Premium ($64.99) and Windows 7 Professional ($124.99)

[*]Japan: Windows 7 Home Premium (