Windows 7 Release on Oct 23rd 2009?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My younger brother told me about some special marketing price for the upgrade versions only, don't know if any of you are interested. It's only when you pre-order though (excerpt follows):

Preorder Windows 7 cheaply

In select markets, Microsoft is offering its customers the ability to preorder Windows 7 upgrade versions at a significantly reduced price. This is easily the most aggressive pricing Microsoft has ever offered for Windows. The low preorder price will vary per country:

[*]US: Windows 7 Home Premium ($49.99) and Windows 7 Professional ($99.99)

[*]Canada: Windows 7 Home Premium ($64.99) and Windows 7 Professional ($124.99)

[*]Japan: Windows 7 Home Premium (

Windows XP users need to know that regardless of which edition they currently have installed (Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP Media Center Edition) and regardless of which edition of Windows 7 they are moving to (Home Premium, Professional , or Ultimate), they will need to perform a clean install, whether they buy the upgrade or full version. The hassle of backing up applications and user data will fall on the user; a clean install will not back up anything. Using Windows Easy Transfer, users can copy their important files and settings to an external USB stick, external hard drive, or DVD, and then move the data back after the installation.

from the link above

That doesn't really answer the question though. ;)

There was a way you could use a Vista upgrade disc/key to do a clean install, without an existing copy of windows installed (besides a temporary install from the upgrade disc itself). I'm wondering if it still works for W7.

i have been designing a new pc on paper for sometime waiting for this. i am sure to have a few question threads in the future for all your opinions on what to do here and there..anyway my point is that i have been waiting for W7 to come out (or at least close) to build my next pc.

i cant wait cause i am going with a 50+ lcd for a screen..screw this 32 shit..to small

Whats the difference between the editions?

I'm guessing that the differences are very similar to the differences between the various Vista editions. Here's the MS link that shows the differences in Vista. Both Home and Ultimate monikers are maintained in the W7 release, and W7 Professional is equivalent to Vista Business.

Unless you're running domain based home network or needing remote accessibility to network PCs, the Home edition is probably the best choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Acer Aspire One D150 this week. I upgraded the RAM to 2gb and loaded Win7 RC from a thumb drive. So far I think they are an excellent combo. Performance seems crisp and after the horror story that was Vista, I think this will be a good OS for MS and those who use it.

As for the Aspire, it's a big step up from the original Eee PC I have. I can actually type on this (as well as a non-touch typist can). It doesn't run overly hot and with the 6 cell battery I have seen battery life around 5.5 hours so far. I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

I've been using the RC version for a while now. Definitely uses less resources than Vista and its more easily tweeked to control what comes up on system start.

I also saw that MSDN will have it on the 6th. Seems, like I'll be doing some upgrades :)

I have a media center setup that really doesn't cut it under Vista. I'm looking forward to the upgrade. The 64 bit version will now support HD playback natively. I'm going to give that a shot and see how it works.

I'm also looking at Microsoft Security Essentials for virus protection. I'm trying to keep it as thin as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

So far so good. I've put Windows 7 RTM on several computers so far; a few upgrades and a few new installs. Everything is stable and performance is way up over Vista.

I'm starting to enjoy some of the new features especially in the task bar. I've installed both the x86 and 64 bit versions. Finally, the sound drivers don't skip in the 64 bit version. I can now feed my USB DAC from a 64 bit computer running Windows 7. :)

Media Center is now built into most versions and I really enjoy the interface. It even works well with a remote.