Parasound DAC-1000 or Little Dot DAC 1

charliex

Now I'm down to the following two choices for a DAC - both are around the same price.

1. Little Dot DAC 1 - brand new USB DAC just released this month from Little Dot' - around $300 OR

2. Parasound DAC-1000 - 15 years old used/good condition - original cost $775...used around $300

I am a novice and this will be my first DAC to be used in conjunction with my computer as source (ASUS P5Q-EM Motherboard).

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanx

Now I'm down to the following two choices for a DAC - both are around the same price.

1. Little Dot DAC 1 - brand new USB DAC just released this month from Little Dot' - around $300 OR

2. Parasound DAC-1000 - 15 years old used/good condition - original cost $775...used around $300

I am a novice and this will be my first DAC to be used in conjunction with my computer as source (ASUS P5Q-EM Motherboard).

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanx

Welcome to head-case. Some advice: do not ask anymore newbie questions before you get to know others around here and read the welcome PM. There are other forums that would be happy to have you come in as a stranger to us and ask what things you should buy because you can't be bothered to figure it out yourself.

That said, Parasound DAC definately does not have USB input, so your computer will have to have toslink or coaxial out. I would likely go with the PICO DAC before either of those unmodded.

Seems a bit harsh. He was polite and concise and the comparison isn't unreasonable.

Lots of folks around here still favor the various Parasound DACs over much more expensive and more modern units, so the consensus will almost certainly be to go that way. Your sound card has an optical out, so you can use that connection.

In general, cheap USB DACs tend to leave something to be desired. Even better examples like the Cambridge Audio DACMagic measure much worse over that interface than over either their RCA or Toslink inputs.

Welcome to HeadCase!

That's a rather odd final twosome, don't you think? I might throw the Pico DAC in there as well, if it's just for computer playback.

What do y'all think of the MSB Link III or Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 DACs? Do the Audio Note kits also fall in about this price range?

Welcome to head-case. Some advice: do not ask anymore newbie questions before you get to know others around here and read the welcome PM. There are other forums that would be happy to have you come in as a stranger to us and ask what things you should buy because you can't be bothered to figure it out yourself.

That said, Parasound DAC definately does not have USB input, so your computer will have to have toslink or coaxial out. I would likely go with the PICO DAC before either of those unmodded.

Dunno I thought for pure sonic quality the pico got stomped pretty hard by my stock 1500 which is basically a balanced 1000. Of course if usb input is a pretty key feature then yeah the 1000 won't be suitable. There's also the small size of the pico dac as well. It's a great dac for sure, but the parasounds have certain design strengths that you really can't replicate in that small package...

I'm truly sorry for asking a question - and also my apologies for being a newbie - guess I'll just refrain from trying to participate in a new site/forum and just return to head-fi where the welcome is a little friendlier - my sincere apologies.

I'm truly sorry for asking a question - and also my apologies for being a newbie - guess I'll just refrain from trying to participate in a new site/forum and just return to head-fi where the welcome is a little friendlier - my sincere apologies.

Don't worry, it just the way different forum works. While the welcome is friendlier on HF, you may also find that some recommendations are little useless over there ;)

Your initial question was alright and manaox's reply was perhaps a little harsher than the usual welcome. If you'd like to stay here though, you need to grow a thicker skin and accept possible critics or the fact that not everybody loves you and/or care about you. Kind of like in real life.

I can't help you about the DACs though, I haven't heard either. Have you considered HeadAmp Pico DAC? It's a great little source and many people including myself love it.

Ok. Thanks for stopping by, be seeing you.

I occasionally use a UCA202 for USB-TOSLINK conversion/Parasound use on the cheap.

Thanks for that. I suppose it's the same as a Hag, although I noticed Hag has one witha AES out now. $149 on thier website, I like the one you linked to better though. I am waiting for him to post some pics so I can see the rear of the unit.

Some questions about the transit and D/AC1100, 1) I use 16bit and 48kHz under transit control panel and SoX resampler to 48 kHz under foobar2000 with either ASIO or WASAPI, but the 48kHz light on my D/AC1100 is off, is it normal? I tried this with redbook.

2) I ripped some HDCDs to FLAC, but when I play thru the above configuration, the HDCD light on my D/AC1100 is off too, is it normal?

I tried my DVD player as transport and play HDCD, the HDCD light is on, and when I choose 48kHz in the menu of my DVD player, the 48 kHz light is on so I assume my unit is working fine.

No need to apologize, I'm not trying to aim a shovel at your head or anything. However, I would rather that everyone gives an introduction or at least complete their user profile before writing in for advice and before it becomes a habit, if that is not in line with views here then I'll refrain.

IMO, it seems proper that everyone gets to know each other before asking strangers for advice. Treat it as if you walked into a gathering of friends and began to ask about their personal views before an exchange of introductions and welcomes. After we've been introduced and as we get to know each other, you'll also know how to better take opinions into consideration.

I apologize that I came off as being overtly harsh. I'm not hinting that you OP have done anything out of line, its only my advice in reference to future posts and seriously, welcome to headcase. Many of these guys offer great advice, myself excluded. :)

I would rather that everyone gives an introduction or at least complete their user profile before writing in for advice and before it becomes a habit, if that is not in line with views here then I'll refrain.
It definitely would be helpful giving advice if we knew what people already had. That said, I kind of hate introduction threads, so...no, that's not necessary. At least he was trying to participate, be on-topic, not trying to sell something, so...there ya go.