Which tubes to make an Extreme Platinum turn into a β22?

blessingx

Okay, maybe not, but can anyone who's familiar with the Extreme topography suggest a reasonably affordable tube combination for a fast, neutral presentation? Stock or with ECC adapter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The Extreme Plat may not end up working with the HD800s, but I want to give it a shot as it works well with my other phones.

Find a good pair of 5998s and the most neutral input tube you can lay hands on.

This is actually how I have my Platinum Extreme set up right now, and it is the best combination I have ever heard with it: Two 5998's with a Russian 1578 (a 6sn7 tube). Sadly, only Dusty decided to give the Russian 1578s a listen on my loaner program. Here is what he had to say of them:

http://www.head-case.org/forums/242482-post19.html

EDIT: OOPS! You wanted an affordable solution. Scratch the 1578 then. You won't find one for less than a hundred, even if you find one at all, as they are extremely rare. If you are that curious, I can loan them out to you to try, with condition being that you post impressions. You'd have to pay shipping returning them, though (I'd pay shipping fwd to gladly lend them to you. Such tube goodness!)

I happen to have five of these right now (yes, I bought all I could at the time after I spent time with the 1st one I bought from the seller "greentulip" on eBay).

Come to think of it, would these Russians be compatible with Woo's WES? They aren't 6sl7, I know, but I think the only difference between 6sn7 and 6sl7 was the gain (I am still very unfamiliar with tube designation and topology). If yes, I have four that I'd like to try with it! Dammit I better start selling gear to save up for that amp.

x2 on the 5998s. I guess they run $40 apiece?

to me RCA 6SN7s always have an insanely rich midrange, but fuzzy in the highs and lows. so not neutral, but still some of my favorite 6SN7s.

these are the grey glass RCAs, not sure if there are different sounding ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you need an adapter for any driver tube except a 6sn7 or a 6sn7 analog. The 7n7 I recommend also needs an adapter. I got all my adapters except one from SP. I would recommend highly against trying to get anything from SP these days. Look for them to come up for sale here and at HF or try to find them on Ebay.

There are a lot of SP amps being taken out of service. Float a WTB in the sale forums. I have the ECC1 and 2c51 adapters. Haven't tried any others. The ECC1 covers the 12a-7s. The 2c51 covers the 2c51/396a/5670/etc.

Another nice front tube is the 6414 (ECC1). A bit warmer than the 2c51s but still detailed.