• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ric, I just watched a good chunk of that interview.  i love Jack White, and he touched on an idea that David Byrne has said more eloquently elsewhere.  The notion of music as divine inspiration, or as some ephemeral muse expressing itself through the hapless musician is silly.  How is it that every musician's muse happens to express itself in 3 minute, 30 second songs?  

Music is work, and White points out that he writes songs when he has to.  He books studio time, or someone books his time, and he buckles down and writes songs.  Byrne theorizes (in his excellent book "How Music Works") that music naturally evolves to fit the space it occupies, and better music does that better.  The Talking Heads, he points out, evolved to play CBGB.  That's the only place they played for a year or so.

That whole section of it might get loud was brilliant, starting from where he nailed a string under tension on top of a pickup and built a lap steel, of sorts.  He touched on it here, as well, when he mentioned how comfort is the enemy of art.  I'm glad he's good at surrounding himself with people who have expectations, because I keep getting great music.