Woo Audio WA2 or WA6SE

tkam

I haven't really kept up with the headphone amp market much as of late. I started taking a look around to see what tube amps are currently available and there really doesn't seem to be all that many. The Woo Audio stuff has always looked interesting to me as they seem to be very well built and priced pretty well.

Does anyone have any thoughts or impressions on the WA2 or the WA6SE?

I haven't really kept up with the headphone amp market much as of late. I started taking a look around to see what tube amps are currently available and there really doesn't seem to be all that many. The Woo Audio stuff has always looked interesting to me as they seem to be very well built and priced pretty well.

Does anyone have any thoughts or impressions on the WA2 or the WA6SE?

I like both amps. The WA2 is OTL I believe and the 6SE is transformer coupled but will both do nicely with your 650's. They do sound different. The WA2 is supposed to be a nice preamp and can be built with a remote.

Yeah if anything I'd probably lean more towards the 6SE because its transformer coupled and I wouldn't need the pre-amp functionality of the WA2.

I should really update my sig, my current phones are:

HF-2, DX1000, 650 and hd800s on the way

My friend Corey had a new Woo 2 for a little while. I never got over to hear it myself, but he did hear my old Zana Deux and had my SDS at home to compare. I never asked him for a detailed analysis, but I get the impression that it's just a good sounding unit - and that the Zana and SDS with a 2c51 driving 6BL7gta are a cut above. I can ask him to clarify :)

This Woo 2 was upgraded to the point where it was as expensive as a used Zana. And, it had some primo tubes Tung Sol 5998's and Siemens cca (IIRC). To be fair, an un-upgraded Woo2 would be a lot more affordable.

To clarify again, I've not heard the Woo2 myself but I know Corey in real life and we have VERY similar tastes in gear - just conveying some trusted impressions.

Of course it goes without saying, you all know the hazards of Singlepower crap, even used. So, I'm not necessarily recommending that as an alternative. Mine has gone through 2 techs after Mikhails's latest high-voltage adventure in there, and I'd like to think it's at least somewhat safe now :)

The wiring is still...creative...but I had my tech fix the dangerous/questionable stuff - except the high voltage switch - THAT thing needs to be removed!

I'm thrilled so far with my 6SE. (I've had it about a month) I like that it will drive all sorts of cans, given its two output taps. Beyond the performance, the casework is top notch.

I do recommend the Sophia 274B rectifier. It made a major positive difference (to my ears). My amp has the upgraded passive parts, too.

I only have brief meet-impressions of the 2, so I can't compare the sound.

Jack set up my 6SE with a loop-out downstream of the input selector switch, so it serves as an input switch for the integrated speaker amp downstream of it.

Mike is right. These amps are excellent, but they are not without character. A good listen to the candidates is in order.

-Carl

[......]but they are not without character. A good listen to the candidates is in order.

Hmmm. Maybe that didn't come off exactly right. I tend to think of myself as a warm/tubey sort, but the more I learn, I'm coming to realize that my tastes are only a TINY bit off neutral. So don't take my comment to mean that I think either Woo is too colored.

I was debating between the 4 and the 6 SE. (I do have the need for at least minimal switching capability) I never got a listen to a 4, other than for a few minutes at CanJam '08. I was drawn to the upgraded 6 Jack had on show then. That, and the fact that everybody and his brother seems to have a 6SE and very few people have fours entered into consideration. In the end, Jack more or less steered me toward the 6 SE.

I liked the 22 at the year's CanJam. But it's hard to say much from listening at a meet or show.

In the end, broken-in, in my own den, with my own source and cans, I can't complain about the results with the 6 SE.

Gene's had a 6 SE longer than I have, maybe he'll weigh in.

-Carl

• 2 weeks later...

The WA6 SE (at least with the Sophia 274B rectifier) is a really nice amp. It really drives all cans (that I have tried) with authority. I almost bought one after hearing it at a Houston meet last year but ended up with a WA5LE instead. After listening to it again at CanJam, I am still impressed with it. I haven't heard the WA4 but I did hear the WA2 and was not as impressed with it as the WA6 SE. If you want to spend a little more, the WA22 was even sweeter than the WA6SE! :P

Are any of the Woo amps 'warm'?

For me, with the stock rectifier tube, the 6SE is too "warm". With the Sophia 274B, just warm enough (which is only very slightly, I think). That's using my ears. Your climatic preferences may vary.

The 5 is "just right" for me, too. And a damn fine amp, bettering the 6, particularly in the bass IMHO - if you've got the money handy.

-Carl