Amarra "Mini" -- $395

Hopstretch

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else having issues with this latest version. The sample rate switching seems to have some issues. I keep getting Chipmunks version of music when Amarra switches from 96k to 44k. Only happens about 1 out of every 20 times but it has never happened before.

Anyone else having issues with this latest version. The sample rate switching seems to have some issues. I keep getting Chipmunks version of music when Amarra switches from 96k to 44k. Only happens about 1 out of every 20 times but it has never happened before.

I have not had that happen yet, but this is weird. I just did a playlist that has a mix of sample/bit rates and as long as I let the songs end and Amarra automatically switches to the next track it is fine. Then, I tried going from 96 to 44 in the middle of a song and the reaction is a slow-mo artifact I guess from the 96K song and then the 44K song starts playing fine. I did it with a number of different tracks and the same result occurred. Same result with 176 or 192 files.

After a number of back and forth switches in mid-song, Amarra and or the Model 4 locked up, a couple of times. I am not sure how to describe all of these things, but there were some digital clicks and artifacts in between tracks. None of this stuff has happened to me just playing things straight through.

Amarra is not opening when I open iTunes although iTunes will open when I open Amarra. Odd. I also have to Force Quit Amarra too often when Quitting the program. These quirks and bugs are getting annoying.

Yeah these are the first issues I have had. I am having the Chipmunks more than what you described but I did have one weird noise outburst that I thought might have been two songs playing at once which might have been the noise you are talking about now that I have thought about it.

sound is improved over the previous version which is nice as I was thinking of going back to version 1.02. Gaps are shorter but not eliminated which is only a minor issue for me and the sample rate changes are improved for me as I used the 302 for a phono pre and manually take it to 96k which always fucked amarra up when I started a 44.1 song, this is now resolved.

I didn't pay enough attention to see what sonic differences there were. I can say that things seem to come more into focus when I switch back and forth and it seems to be more obvious than I remember it being with the old version.

My issues with sample rate seem to have stopped. I still have the issue every once in a while where I note Amarra is using over 1.5 Gb of RAM, and this is usually when it has set unused for a while and no music is playing.

It seems OK with the new Ayre QB-9, but an Esoteric D-03 or Reimyo DAP 999 source it ain't. I 'm going to try the full blown version of Amarra.

Does your Esoteric take 24/192 over firewire? I know the Ayre will take it over USB eventually.

Edited by VPI