Amarra "Mini" -- $395

Hopstretch

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just to bump this up a bit, has anyone that has amarra tried the playlist feature? It stops Itunes from playing the track along side amarra, I swear it sounds better but I could be delusional. The playlist also makes playing things like the abbey road medley listenable as there are no more gaps.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Somebody else try Minimalist Audio Player

and tell me what ya think. I never tried the minimalist one, just the Stealthplayer. I think it's the latest one. I been listening for couple of days now going back and forth between stealth and foobar.

No GUI and you have to install FLAC/APE/etc. support yourself? I was curious, but not that much.

I don't know what to think of this 'minimalist player' craze. As a software engineer, I'm highly dubious as to any change that could actually be audible. However, the audiofool in me won't dismiss it outright. I think to really do it right, you need to create a custom micro-kernel linux distro optimized for audio. Still, way too much work - I'll stick with foobar for the foreseeable future.

• 1 month later...
Somebody else try Minimalist Audio Player

and tell me what ya think. I never tried the minimalist one, just the Stealthplayer. I think it's the latest one. I been listening for couple of days now going back and forth between stealth and foobar.

Cool, I think I'll try it for a week and see how it goes.

Reason I checked this thread out is I randomly remembered that I heard JP's AD2K rig at CJ and was confused as to what I was hearing, especially since there was another AD2K rig right next to it (ironbut's?) that didn't sound that funky. Thought it might have been Amarra but was too stupid to figure out how to disable the EQ thing so I set it to flat which is what I think it was on before anyway and it was still funky sounding. Might not even have been Amarra, all I know is what I was hearing was bizarre.

I have owned Amarra Mini for a week now. The price incidentally is now $295- plus $50 for the USB dongle - for use with multiple computers. Version 2.0 also just came out, and it supports MP3s and has FLAC conversion capabilities although I am still using Max..

I found it very difficult to audition Amarra Mini with the silences every 40 seconds or so, but with the reduced price, plus the fact that I am more or less committed to my Macbook Pro and iTunes, any enhancement is probably worth that investment. To Smeggy's points though, it is not necessarily an immediately noticeable improvement. So far, it seems to me that it tightens up the bass somewhat and overall is now more neutral sounding to me compared with Apple's Core Audio/ iTunes. Of course hearing an improvement with Amarra Mini may just be my imagination, as obviously I would like to hear an improvement after buying it.