Amarra "Mini" -- $395

Hopstretch

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience with OS Lion on my MacBook Pro (2009) and Amarra Mini/iTunes, is that web browsing with Safari causes the music to cut out for a second or two occasionally. This seems to be limited to Safari, and does not affect applications on the local drive.

I wonder if that could be improved with an SSD or hybrid hard drive and more ram?

My experience with OS Lion on my MacBook Pro (2009) and Amarra Mini/iTunes, is that web browsing with Safari causes the music to cut out for a second or two occasionally. This seems to be limited to Safari, and does not affect applications on the local drive.

Consider using Chrome then if Safari is causing the clipping. Awesome bit of kit that.

• 1 month later...

Consider using Chrome then if Safari is causing the clipping. Awesome bit of kit that.

I have clipping with Chrome as well. Sometimes it lasts for a second, other times its more prolonged sounding like an audio tape piling up between the heads and rollers. Its highly irritating but Amarra is worth, till something equal or better comes out.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Amarra is now bundling. http://ow.ly/1DyEO7

Introducing Amarra HiFi for Musical Fidelity

Tempo, North American importer for Musical Fidelity, has partnered with Sonic Studio to offer a special version of their Amarra playback software, called Amarra HiFi, that will now be included with the purchase of all Musical Fidelity DACs and USB converters.

Recently awarded Stereophile Magazine’s Computer Audio Component of the Year for 2011, Amarra software integrates Sonic Studio’s performance-enhancing professional audio engine used by mastering engineers in the publication of millions of CDs with Apple’s iTunes music player software.

The company feels that the combination of iTunes’ ubiquitous and elegant interface and the power of Amarra’s software will allow owners of Musical Fidelity DACs and USB converters access to the best and most compelling experience we can offer by heightening retrieval of spacial cues, improving depth and detail, by delivering more natural textures and tonal color, thereby allowing computer-based music to come through the way it should.

Edited by blessingx

I've been using Amarra Mini 2.2 with Lion on a 4Gb Ram 2.4Ghz C2D Macbook Pro, and I get skipping when I do anything other than listen to music. I think it's because I have very little free RAM (400Mb) with Amarra Mini, iTunes, Safari and Mail all loaded. But if I leave it alone and just let the music play it's fine (iTunes in 32-bit mode). The upgrade in sound is worth it though.

My Macbook Pro can be upgraded to 8Gb RAM for about $50, so I'm gonna go ahead and do that. I got a nice boost in speed with the hybrid HD, so I'm also gonna get the newer 750Gb hybrid with the larger 8Gb SSD portion (I have the 4Gb/500Gb version). Other than Amarra Mini issues the Macbook Pro is still pretty snappy and responsive.

• 4 weeks later...

As long as I've stayed away from Safari (Chrome), there hasn't been any further issues with Amarra. In that mode light multi-tasking has been trouble free, that with either 2 to 4 GB memory allotted to Amarra.

Looks like 512 GB SSD's have come down about $200. in the last few months (newegg 512 Crucial $639.99).

• 5 months later...

Just got a special offer from Sonic Studios called Bring a Friend to Amarra. Let's me buy full versions of Amarra for $59.99 and Amarra HiFi $24.99. I guess they must have really lowered the pricing structure since I last looked.

Wow. Tempting and generous to open it up to us. I see they've changed the product names again (Amarra HiFi, Amarra, Amarra Symphony). For those using Decibel or Audirvana, still worth jumping over to Amarra and they've solved the memory, playlist, etc. issues?

• 5 months later...

I gave Amarra a try today (the regular version, not 'hifi').  Thing is, I can't really tell a difference between Amarra and iTunes regular playback - I'm playing mostly 320 kbps MP3s, with the occasional apple lossless file. I've kept the EQ off in Amarra.

I've read reviews from around the web (and much of this thread) on Amarra ranging from 'couldn't tell the difference' to 'sounds much better than stock iTunes'... which makes me think I might be missing something here. How subtle is the difference?

Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I'm using a gamma2 (via USB) as a DAC, limited to 16-bit/48 kHz (and currently set to 44.1 kHz), connected to a Pico Slim/SE535.

Any insights from the longtime Amarra users would be greatly appreciated.

Sameer