Router Suggestions

Just looking for a few suggestions on what sort of router I should go for, including brand, type (G, N, etc.), whatever else. I must be honest and say that networking is a weak point for me and I don't know a heck of a lot about routers in general, but I just need something for here at the apartment that will give me multiple ethernet ports and a solid wireless connection for my roommate's lappy.

Thanks folks.

Are you PC or Mac? If either of you are MAC go with the Apple Airport Express. I know jack about computers and I was able to hook up every thing in the house with no problems, Wii, iPod touch Mac, three laptops PCs and a desk top.

Ah sorry, I'm on PC. No Airport for me.

No idea if this helps, but the University's connection got insane again, I speedtested yesterday @ 90MB/s DL and 40MB/s UL. Would only an N-capable router be able to take full advantage of this much bandwidth?

Yeah, I really recommend the Airport extreme as well, even for an all PC network. Fast as blazes, and very stable. I'm using it for a boatload of stuff (print server, wireless backup, upnp, media streaming, etc.) and it hangs in there wonderfully.

Its range and speed through basement walls is pretty impressive, too, FWIW.

I have a question for you. In none of your posts do you say you need a wireless router. Yet the G and N you talk about are short for 802.11G and 802.11N. These are both wireless protocols. So are you going to connect to your router with a wired, or wireless connection?

First let's assume wired. A 100 Mbit/sec (100Base-T) connection will make the internet connection the slow point and that is your goal. So you'd need a router that also has at least 1 100Base-T port. You also need an ethernet adapter in your PC that supports 100Base-T. Most modern PCs already have that.

Now let's assume that you are going to connect to the router via a wireless connection. Here are the theoretical maximum transfer rates of standard G and N protocols:

G: 54 Mbit/sec

N: >100 Mbit/sec

So to get the maximum out of your PC, you'll have to use 802.11N. No matter which wireless protocol you decide to use, again you will have to be sure that your PC's wireless adapter will support that protocol.

For more information about wireless protocols and their performance, check out this link.

HTH rather than confuses.

if you plan on filesharing between computers, i'd suggest a gigabit and N router.

if the laptop doesn't have wireless N, i'd suggest sticking with a G router bc they tend to be more stable. i'd definitely try to find something that will run dd-wrt or tomato. Linksys and buffalo tends to be most reliable. as a college student with reasonable technical background, you probably don't need to pay the premium for an airport.

Just a bit more information since I didn't consider nearly enough earlier:

- I'm running a desktop and will be connecting via cable.

- I do need solid wireless for my roommate's pc and gatherings at our place. LAN's might be a possibility with at least half a dozen pc's on the wireless connection.

- No filesharing, at least not at the moment. My friend does a lot of movie ripping and it would be easier for me to grab his files through the connection, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

- Squeezebox is a possibility.

- Not sure if my roommate's lappy is N, I would guess not based on the rest of specs of it.

~~~

I did check the Airport and yeah, the cost is a bit much. I was looking for under $100 ideally.

Thanks much for the help guys, really appreciate it.