Showing My D2000 to others.

Takashi

<snip>

On the other hand, the few people that actually do care about sound but aren't into the hobby serve as a good reality check. If someone's face lights up when they listen to your rig and you can see the amazement you're on the right track. And often untrained ears will pick up things that your golden audiophile ears have been conditioned to miss.<snip>

Agreed. A friend of mine who is a music lover was over the other weekend, and wanted to listen to something on the speaker rig. He has a kinda home theatre system with the typical tiny unobtrusive speakers, etc. I tossed The Planets on (he normally listens to classical) and the look on his face throughout and comments afterward were priceless. He may be in the market for better speakers soon, though probably not too big. And not that my system is that good compared to many of yours.

Boomana believe me i've read your posts, and you have a huge bias against them, on the opposite spectrum there is Markl, who thinks they are the greatest things ever, who is right? who cares as long as it sounds good to me and it does.

Someone who has listened many times to something and doesn't like them isn't biased against them... they just plain don't like them.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boomana believe me i've read your posts, and you have a huge bias against them, on the opposite spectrum there is Markl, who thinks they are the greatest things ever, who is right? who cares as long as it sounds good to me and it does.

You call it bias. I call it good hearing. And you're right that it doesn't matter as long as you like them, which is why I've not posted in any of your threads here until now. But when you come in here posting these juvenile crap threads about how your friend doesn't know how good your gear is, looking for our empathy and strokes (why else start a thread?), it's time for a reality check. You make fun of your friend for not having the sense to like your gear. I'm just saying maybe you should think twice before doing so.

Was just trying to have some fun, from now on I will restrict my threads to reviews on what I buy and advice, sorry If i caused any offense, imo people have "different" ears your idea of good is partial to no one but yourself, i'm sorry that I offended you with such trivial things.

Edit: This wasn't even me flaunting my "gear" which is not too high end anyway, I was mainly poking fun at my friend turning up the PREAMP all the way in software and then declaring his opinion.

No need, if that accurately describes how your friend listens to music then I have to agree that ignorance is a good description whether or not he liked or disliked your gear. Besides, the D2000 sounds better than the D5000 when you equalize the cable differences and when you actually put them on your head correctly. :)

Don't worry too much what your friend feels, some people just don't appreciate high end sound. When my friends tried my headphone, they could accurately described the size of soundstage, instrument placement....etc

but in the end, they prefer that "explosive" bass of Bose

Was just trying to have some fun, from now on I will restrict my threads to reviews on what I buy and advice, sorry If i caused any offense, imo people have "different" ears your idea of good is partial to no one but yourself, i'm sorry that I offended you with such trivial things.

I'm far from offended, but don't go playing martyr. If you like your headphones, stick with them, enjoy them, spend your money and time getting and listening to more music, but don't come here making fun of others who have simply not had the benefit of sometimes years of good gear and honed listening skills. I don't like the D2000s and will tell you flat-out, but I wouldn't make fun of you for liking them like you did with your friend and the Bose Triports. I would never start a thread about you, even if no one here knew you. Your thread is trivial, but it's not fun at all. It's a public cheap shot at a friend for no reason other than to feel superior. Very uncool.

I'm far from offended, but don't go playing martyr. If you like your headphones, stick with them, enjoy them, spend your money and time getting and listening to more music, but don't come here making fun of others who have simply not had the benefit of sometimes years of good gear and honed listening skills. I don't like the D2000s and will tell you flat-out, but I wouldn't make fun of you for liking them like you did with your friend and the Bose Triports. I would never start a thread about you, even if no one here knew you. Your thread is trivial, but it's not fun at all. It's a public cheap shot at a friend for no reason other than to feel superior. Very uncool.

Software Preamp

takes the headphones off and quickly declares that they suck.

Your hanging around the wrong crowd, obviously:p

Besides, the D2000 sounds better than the D5000 when you equalize the cable differences and when you actually put them on your head correctly. :)

Word.

Even more so when balanced.

The D5000s don't suck. I don't like them, but they're decent closed headphones. The D2000 is just way too flawed in ways I can't tolerate (as opposed to flawed in ways I can). I think the D2000 fills the need for modestly priced, closed, home headphone, and there really isn't much available in that price range, so you're kinda stuck with these or the even worse Ultrasones (the only "popular" headphones I dislike far more than the D2000s are those god-awful HFI-780s horrors). I'd still prefer a decent set of iems if I needed the isolation rather than get the Denons.

I agree, they have a niche to fill. In the end, after owning 2 different modded/re-cabled HFI-780 I sold them in favor of my re-cabled D2000 which improved even more with wood cups. Eventually I realized my woodied recabled D2000 were better than my Edition 9 and I sold the 9's as well. But the modded D2000 still were lacking in the midrange presence and lower treble (could be dark at times) and I was using my ESW10JPN or IEM more when I needed closed phones.

In the end it's hard these days for people to find a nice "affordable" closed can that doesn't have problems somewhere. The HD25-1 have no soundstage and clamp too tight, the Ultrasones are too colored, the ESW9 are too dark, the ATH-A900 too lopsided without mods like a Denon (although my modded A900 are fun to listen to). The ESW10JPN are a great closed phone but also a costly limited edition and not everyone was lucky to get a pair. I thought about getting a pair of Shure SRH840 after I heard them at CanJam, but in the end it just didn't make sense to get another mid-grade closed phone when I have enough nice ones right now. Someday I will have to join team minimal. It should make life easier.

As for Takashi, I can see where you are frustrated with his post, but he's just excited about his new purchase and amazed at his friend's method of adjusting iTunes to make it sound bad.