Thinking of going electro

forbigger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESP950 is 600V but some recommend 620V for extra response and that shouldn't be dangerous. Even a Stax pro phone seems like it should still be fine with that and its 580V default.

I've been running the ESP950 at 650 volts..sounds great.

I agree with the others that say you should put a Stax cable on the ESP950, as it is supposed to be a higher quality and better sounding cable. Spritzer sold me a nice pair of ESP950 that APureSound re-cabled and removed the dampening on, and they were nice. They included a Koss adapter so they could still be used on the Koss amp. I sold them to Blutarsky after I got my Stax O2, but I liked them more than my Lambda Signature. I think they charge about $250 for the service, but I am not sure.

• 4 weeks later...

First night hooking up the ESP950......deadneddz is pretty right on, the sound signature is what I expect for my taste, fast, detailed, good bass......as a matter of fact, I'm pretty happy with the stock amp and couldn't actually imagine how it would sound with KGSS.......

But on some songs especially instrumental some vocal, though its great but its not as involving/fun as the dynamic, my HF-2 in this case. Overall, pretty happy with it.....can't wait for christmas where I will take delivery of the KGSS

in my case is just that the pad gets hot and gotta take it off for like 1 or 2 minutes before putting back on......got to do it for like after every 5-6 songs

Wow, sorry to hear that. I have had a few phones like that and the Lambdas are that way too sometimes during the spring and summer months. It hasn't happened to me recently now that my apartment is staying on the cooler side.

• 1 month later...

You don't need to change the bias and some like the effect while other don't.

To change the bias in a KGSS/BH then you need a good meter (Fluke or similar) and preferably with those hook probes. A trimpot tool is also a good idea since if you drop it, nothing will short out. There is a trimpot in the PSU which you will adjust and you place the black probe to ground while the red probe is connected to one leg of the ballast resistor (located next to the tim pot). You place it on the end of the resistor which faces the trimpot as the other end will just give you gibberish.