Thinking of going electro

forbigger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like smooth jazz! The BHSE plays Kenny G quite well, "My Heart Will Go On"! So smooth and also detailed too!

I'm glad to see other people who share similar taste in music with me!

If you're getting a KGSS, you might as well save up a little bit more and go for a used O2mk1 or O2mk2 instead of a Koss.

If budget is tight, maybe go for a less expensive used SRM-717 instead of a KGSS.

You just need to recable the 950 with a Stax pro bias jack so you can run it out of the KGSS. Shouldn't be too difficult, but worth mentioning if you didn't already know.

That I didn't know, thank you.....will search and hv a look.....just to make my life easier, is this recabling a DIY project ?

Do you have a preference for certain sound presentations? For example, do you like your sound to be very detailed? Delicate? Impactful? Ect....

I like Grado sound signature especially HF2. With stats, I'm looking for a HF2 sound signature with more clarity, impact and ofcourse detail or alternatively a 701 sound signature with more bass, detail, clarity and warm.....You reckon I can find it with stats ? My apology if my expectation is too much but again I dont have any stats rigs to audience

you DIY or buy it off the shelf. If you bought it off the shelf, can enlighten me where did you get it ? Thanks

I did DIY. Total is about $15 in materials. You cut the extension cable in half. then you strip the ends of the wires with a wire stripper tool (cheap, easily found). Then you make sure the end conductors are tight together and tin them with solder (cover them in a little solder with a soldering gun, a cheap one should work for this job I'd bet). You have to match up the six wires to the right five pins, you can easily find the stock koss and stax pin outs with very easily to follow pictures on faust's headphone wiki. You solder the right wire/s to the correct pins (the bias pin will have two of the wires soldered for pro bias which is what you would want). Add some stiff 3/4" heat shrink over the finished work (I like to make it stiff so that it is good tension relief and gives you something to use when plugging and unplugging the connector. I put the female koss end with a male stax socket and the male koss end to female socket and it allows you to use pro Stax with the E90 (not that its a great driver unit, but it works) and connect the two together to make an extension to the E90 again. You can get the WPI stax female and male connectors from Allied electronics. (WPI - 86-71-6S - Allied Electronics and WPI - 78-S6S - Allied)

I like Grado sound signature especially HF2. With stats, I'm looking for a HF2 sound signature with more clarity, impact and ofcourse detail or alternatively a 701 sound signature with more bass, detail, clarity and warm.....You reckon I can find it with stats ? My apology if my expectation is too much but again I dont have any stats rigs to audience

Have never heard the ESP950, but from reading it sounds like it may be up your alley. Many of the current production stats will have excellent clarity and finesse compared to the HF2 and K701, two headphones that I do not feel are especially stong in the clarity department. Im not too sure about the impact, even with the KGSS, but I have to let the ESP950 owners answer that question.

I think the HF-2 has greater impact from recent memory. The ESP950 are detail monsters and very clear and airy sounding. They have more detail and separation then the Lambda Signature to me. These phones point out flaws in recording or setup very well in my opinion. Getting one that is balanced between L&R and without the squeal is hit and miss, but luckily you can keep trying to get it right for the price of shipping and handling from the Koss factory as many times if and as necessary with their no questions asked unlimited warranty.

If you're getting a KGSS built specifically for the Koss, up the bias voltage to 620V/630V or whatever the Koss needs, I don't remember off the top of my head.

Don't know much about smooth Jazz except that a) it's not Jazz and B) there's no point in getting a system for smooth Jazz specifically since it is just about the worst music out there for actually judging a system, which is why every vendor uses it and every audiophile publication pushes it as hard as possible. If you want to find out what a system is made of, load it up with something demanding. Otherwise, an HD600 with a decent tube amp is all you'll ever need, and even that is probably overkill.