Thinking of trying out Ultrasones... bad idea?

pomme de terre

I did find your description eerily similar to mine on my one and only listen to the 780. Absolutely the worst headphone I ever listened to, bar none.

See the Sennheiser 380 thread.....that one wins hands-down for me.

I tried several Ultrasone's, I realy WANTED to like them for some reason. The closest I came was the 2200HLE and RAL-recabled PRO-900. But bottom line is I don't have them anymore, they ultimately didn't do it for me....

BTW, someone earlier in the thread mentioned the GS-1000's. It was a really odd situation, but to me there was a bizarre but quite nice synergy in my system at a time with the GS-1000 highs and my PS Audio GCHA amp. Extended but smooth, natural sounding; some of the best high's I had heard from Grado phones!

Too bad the amp made the bass totally unbalanced and fat compared to every other aspect of the sound....ultimately unlistenable as well

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I ended up stretching my budget (by a loooooooooooot) and got a pair of HF-2's, which most seem to enjoy. However, my initial impressions are that I don't like them as much as I thought I would. There seems to be way too much midbass, and not nearly enough highs for a John Grado headphone. Now I had already sort of read about them having a lot of midbass, but I didn't think there would be THIS much. They aren't that detailed either...

Should I maybe find someone with a pair of RS1's to trade with?

Anyways, let me whore a pic.

IMG_2914.jpg

I say resolving minute details is not the strong forte of HF2 but somehow, it sounds just... right, I dunno. It's one of the few cans that are able to make you forget about technicalities and instead, you just sit back and enjoy the music.

Have you tried them with an appropriate amplifier?

But no, I'd say if you don't like the HF2s, I find it unlikely you'll like the RS1s.

Have to agree with this. I can't imagine you would like the RS-1 if you don't like the HF-2. These are simply fun cans to listen to and if you are looking for detail you may want to look elsewhere. I haven't noticed a mid bass emphasis.