Whiskeys in the $50 range

guzziguy

The Macallen (one C) is a Speyside. Although I would concur with you about it being very nice indeed.

Thanks for the corrections - it didn't look quite right, but I didn't want to unlock the liquor cabinet at the moment, instead of feeding my kids breakfast and letting the dogs out to do their business! :D

I can tell the obvious difference between Islays and Highlands, but what distinguishes a Speyside and a Lowland, taste quality-wise?

Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10, Highland Park 12, Glenfiddich 15, Caol Ila 12, Yamazaki 12, (maybe) Springbank 100*, probably Springbank 10, Aberlour 12, Balvenie Doublewood, Glenlivet 12, Speyburn 10 (maybe the 15 or 18, as well, i've seen both go for under $50), Mac 12 (sherry finished) or 15 Fine Oak , Glenfarclas 10, Scapa 12, Arran 12, Jura 12, Finlaggan Old Reserve, Old Pulteney 12, Knappogue Castle 1995, Rock Hill Farm, a whole slew of Signatory, Whisky Galore and Gordon and MacPhaill independent bottlings, Wild Turkey Rye, actually, most of the small batch bourbons fit in this price range, as do a bunch of good rye whiskey. the under $50 category is typically what i drink, but it's a category that is shrinking as prices inevitably go up, at least with single malt. if i could see both the whisky aisles of my local place in my head i could give lots of recommendations, but it's too early for my memory to work well.

the cheaper Michter's rye, the Willett potstill reserve, Four Roses is okay, the standard Buffalo Trace is tasty enough, Elijah Craig 18, Elmer T. Lee, Evan Williams single barrel, Blanton's is nice.

is this your abridged or unabridged suggestion list? :P