Would anybody be interested in a ceramic headphone stand?

Chekhonte

Its now winter break for me and I have keys to the ceramics studio and am trying to think of some stuff to do. I was reading that RSA amp thread and noticed that ray was using a ceramic headphone stand and thought some people here might like for me to make them one. I wouldn't charge anything but shipping as they would be pretty cheap to make.

This would be for established head-casers in the US only. Sorry to leave you canadians and europeans out in the cold but ceramics are heavy and shipping would be probably more than it's worth.

I'm alright with "scary", "creepy", "deformed" and whatnot (or even "phallic"). To me, that just means they don't look like your average every day headphone stand, and gives it some individuality. See, for example, my avatar. My tastes definitely run that way.

Heck, if it looks that good, I'll bring it in to the office and freak out my coworkers.

I foresee a 'The Homosexual Vampire gave me head' thread. :)

Actually Chekhonte I think that's really cool. I'd love to make you a wooden stand to trade for one of your ceramic ones.

I would love to have something that looks like this:

soundman_kunstkopf.jpg

It would be the coolest thing ever.

I copied your avatar about 2 years ago, with intent to build one. I just haven't gotten around to it, but I love the design too.

But will it be smooth enough to use as such?

Yes, it will. I'll be sure to use a smooth glaze along the points of contact. They will probably be sans ears to avoid any headphones that might not like them like grados.

Actually Chekhonte I think that's really cool. I'd love to make you a wooden stand to trade for one of your ceramic ones.

You bet, you're a much better and more meticulous craftsman than I am.

Can I get one shaped like a toilet, where the headphones rest inside the bowl?

I actually never though about this but I would wager that Marcel DuChamp's urinal is the most widely known piece of ceramic art in the united states.

I would love to have something that looks like this:

soundman_kunstkopf.jpg

It would be the coolest thing ever.

I've been thinking about how to go about this. I shouldn't have a problem with making it but firing it is another story. Ceramics don't like to be rigid. When you roll out a slab the way in which the platelets compress together causes them to want to warp in the firing process. I'll definitely try it but if it turns out wonky I'll send you a picture and if you don't want it, I won't take it personally at all. I'm really doing this because I need to practice my technique and figured I could make some stuff that people might want and won't just go in the garbage when I'm done.

Do you happen to know if a template can be found for each plane? That sure would make it easier.