New, Cheap Dynalo...

Raez

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering about one setting on DynaLo, originally I believe it is set at a gain of 11, and since that might be a bit much for some of the more sensitive ear/headphones, what would you guys recommend as an "optional" lower gain setting?

I'm considering adding it as a option that you can choose at the time of purchase. (The option would cost around $5USD for parts and labor) Basically it would involve paralleling a resistor over the original gain resistor, so that adding this option would not take much time and won't require me to stock a load of dynalo boards with different gain settings.

Thanks

David

With a K501 and quiet source material I've actually used perhaps up to 70% of the pot range of a Headamp Gilmore Lite - which I think has the default 11 gain. Most of the time, though, with most of my headphones, I'm in the bottom third or so of the dial. And none of my amp-worthy earphones are the sensitive ones that people are buying today. So I concur, an option of 2 or maybe 3 seems reasonable.

+1

I hate amplifiers with too much gain: they create noise and they do not allow you to use the best part of the pot (many times I found myself with volume levels under '9 oclock', the worse part of a potentiometer).

I am used to passives for speakers btw, so I know about total gain etc. Many people think if an amp needs its volume raised to around '12' this is a sign of 'weak amp' or 'not enough power'. Bullshit.

You may even consider the x11 optional, and make 2-3 standart.

Congrats for this amp gem btw, I have directed people to it.

Many people think if an amp needs its volume raised to around '12' this is a sign of 'weak amp' or 'not enough power'. Bullshit.
I agree, lots of people don't understand this. (I particularly remember one "Use a K501 portably? You'll have to strap a car battery to your butt" thread over on HF.) But from a business perspective it's probably best if even underinformed customers aren't disappointed. Defaulting to the 'traditional' gain sounds to me like safest thing to do. Seems a little easier from a wiring perspective too.

On either of my Dynalos I've never had a problem with any cans I have at the stock gain of 11. Looking at my work dynalo powering K271s, the volume is set at 11 o'clock right now. With SR60s at home, it is about 9 o'clock, and those and my shure 840s are the most efficient phones I use (don't use the SR60s at all any more though). I don't have any iems, so I suppose those could be a problem at 11.

Hummm, I think I will have an option of 3x and 5x as optional. And have 11x as standard, as others posted above had said. It's best to have uninformed customer getting what they wanted, because I do see a LOT of comments about "This amp is not powerful, cuz I had to turn the volume up." in a few forums. Most of them just don't have the concept of gain and actual potential max power of the amp.

Since those who KNOW and understand the advantage of lower gain know exactly what they wanted, I think they will pick what they wanted from the option instead of going with default.

I will think about the exact gain value offered, and the parts that I'll be using, and then post it on the web shop as well as here. :)