15 year old DAC, or almost brand new DAC for around 200 euro?

I need to get a new DAC after damaging my E-MU 0404 USB dac.

There are nice new (used) DACs out there for about 200 euro, the E-MU, the V-DAC, and the cambridge audio DAC magic. But there are also vintage DACs, like this ADCOM 700 (that someone seems to have done some strange mods to)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2965[/ATTACH]

or the Parasound D/AC 1000,

or this Orelle DAC

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2964[/ATTACH]

What do you people think? Should I go vintage or almost new?

pencil.png

Having just gone through a similar exercise, I would recommend the vintage DAC path. However, just because it's vintage doesn't mean you're going to love it. If you can afford a new DAC and a vintage DAC (or if you can demo a new DAC), then that would be ideal. Really, the only way you can make an informed decision is to hear them for yourself. I've found that it is very difficult to get an idea of the sound of a source based on reviews.

For the Adcom, the film caps with long leads is pretty questionable. Better to use a DC coupled discrete stage instead of mucking with opamps and coupling caps. The copper tape shielding is fine, and does appear to be grounded.

No idea on the other DAC.

Agreed, and even if you stick with opamps, I see no reason why there is the need for the big flying coupling caps. PCM1702 has output around 0v, dual rail opamp supply, so opamp output should be around 0v (minus various tolerances). If it is too far off, it is easy enough to servo.

This links to a picture of the Micromega, from someone trying to sell one with Burson opamps installed: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/image.php?image=1225964&is_user=0

( I think the Burson opamps is the boards at the back, but I could be wrong. I could be even more wrong, if the picture is of the CD transport... but I can't see any disc drive in the picture.)

How does it look?

Older versions (around 2001-2005) of the Harmony Design DA9 would also be close to what I'd like to pay. ( Harmony Design ). (the oldest are cheaper, the newer usually a bit more) Upgrading to the latest version costs about 200 euro so that is not an option (usually cheaper to buy a new one then).

(Harmony Design DA9 - DAC [English])

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2978[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2977[/ATTACH]

post-1574-12951156851577_thumb.jpg

post-1574-12951156851716_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It looks well made with it's thick steel case and steel front plate. Probably the case itself is worth what I paid for the dac.

As a bonus, it features one useless optical deltran clock sync output for jitter free transfer.

I am curious about what the ancient DX16 dac processor can do to the sound. Apparently DPA made it and only used it in their own products. The on-off switch is tempting.

So how does it compare to the newer stuff?

I've been using an old (95) CAL dac since finding it in the closet. The meets have not given a (gotta have) moment compared to some newer dacs. In a couple weeks I will get a chance to hear the A GD unit and am keeping an open mind to justify spending close to 2k vs 200 spent on the CAL.

Now those LCD-2s are another matter. Love to get a listen to keep me away from a stat rig.

Good question... I've got no high end gear unless the Arcam cd73 player counts....

But it brings out a nice airy sound from the LCD-2 so it appears to do the conversion as it should. I need to listen to some more music to hear if it has annoying flaws. The seller said it's basically unused (and it sure looks brand new) so it's not even burned-in (the manual recommends a whole month for burn-in :o ) Components could start breaking down anyway with age I suppose....

So how does it compare to the newer stuff?

I've been using an old (95) CAL dac since finding it in the closet. The meets have not given a (gotta have) moment compared to some newer dacs. In a couple weeks I will get a chance to hear the A GD unit and am keeping an open mind to justify spending close to 2k vs 200 spent on the CAL.

Now those LCD-2s are another matter. Love to get a listen to keep me away from a stat rig.