Audeze LCD-2

swt61

The problem is that every time anyone even remotely suggests that a headphone might have been created that can compete with the O2, KG builds an even more insane stat amp that ensures nothing ever will.

Oh, Skylab has finally reviewed the LCD-2 and orgasmed all over them so now the HF hype meter is off the planet.

Didn't you order a pair?

Hmm... this is a tough one since meet conditions etc. etc. but I really like the soundstage. It's not too wide and not too small, just right according to the recordings. The only headphone that I've ever heard that managed to do this is the R10. The midrange and high are also very delicate and yet detailed? I'm not sure "delicate" is the proper word or not but it's like every note and tone just flow naturally without being forced. Consequently, these can give the impression of lacking impact. The SR404-LE I had heard the other day was definitely more colored and bloated compared to the MK2.

And it's actually comfortable to wear!

One very cool thing about the O2 is the sound is very see-through. This is due to the very open pad mesh, open back housing and zero damping. But the lack of "impact" is there for me, in the sense the notes dont seem to have real life heft.

To me the LCD2 trades some of this 'openess' to gain some heft. I think this might be part of that "delicateness" you mention in the O2.

Comfort wise, O2 also has a very light clamp, the LCD2 has more clamp.

Overall soundstaging wise the LCD2 is great too, its not an artificially inflated stage, not a zero stage, its nice and 3D in its placement, much like the O2, but because of this 'openess' feeling I mentioned, there is a slightly different way this is presented thats a little hard to pin down for me.

The problem is that every time anyone even remotely suggests that a headphone might have been created that can compete with the O2, KG builds an even more insane stat amp that ensures nothing ever will.

I can't see a problem with uncovering new ways to make them even moar awesome... ;D

Oh, Skylab has finally reviewed the LCD-2 and orgasmed all over them so now the HF hype meter is off the planet.

I fear the fallout off of all this hype will not be good for Audeze... :(

...zero damping...

There actually is quite a bit of damping going on in the SR-007, you just can't see it. :)

Have you tried to adjust the arcs on the SR-007 to better fit your head? The lack of bass might be caused by the loose fit besides the amp not supplying enough current for the lower registers. I recently tried a completely untouched SR-007mk1 and they sounded like poo compared to my set. Now I have a gigantic head so a stock set will never fit me properly but it was a useful experiment wrt to the importance of a proper fit.

I fear the fallout off of all this hype will not be good for Audeze... :(

The hype will definately help sales, which is good for Audeze. But I also feel that its impossible for any headphone to live up to all the crazy hype....not everyone has the same preferences. Even the O2, its considered by many to be the bar to reach, but not everyone will like it Thatt much, same for LCD-2.

You cant please everyone....but end of the day it's a great headphone, that's it. The problem lies in that to find which great headphone is for ones particular taste means listening to a bunch :(. Not cheap.

Now I have a gigantic head so a stock set will never fit me properly but it was a useful experiment wrt to the importance of a proper fit.

So a small head is the best mod for a sr007?

I am keen to pick up a pair of lcd2's 2nd hand when people get rid of them just to try. I still have hope, but the hype actually scares me a little...

I think the major problem with a lot of reviews is that everyone has the "its new and exciting" vibe when they write them. I mean look at skylabs reviews, not to take anything away from the guy, but they are all basically positive. Whilst this will probably be the case for most paid publications, you'd hope that people could be more critical on public forums. I want a review that talks about what is crap or wrong with a pair of headphones so I can see if thats something I am willing to deal with.

Yeah, that what I mean. They will sell a lot of units now but in a couple of months the FS board will be flooded with used units and they won't sell any new ones. This has happened on HF time and time again...

Those people will jump on and off of the latest "it" train anyway. I do agree that Skylab's review is a temporary boon for Audeze at best, but what impresses me are the reviews by well known, well respected Ortho guys. The real question is will Orthodynamic technology finally reach it's potential, and will that become as accepted as Dynamic or Electrostatic technology?

Personally I really dig the Ortho flavor and have for decades. I have a really good reference point for dBel84's ears, and that's what makes me think this may be the best Ortho available at this time. Of coarse before I spend $900.00 on any headphone I'm going to evaluate it to the best of my ability myself. Ultimately, for me I prefer a more forward nature and the O2 wasn't able to give me that (on the KGSS). The personal debate for me ATM is whether I'll get enough use out of another headphone to justify the price. The K1000 is almost nirvana for me, but a headphone with almost visceral bass is a bit of a revelation.

I know that I am partly to blame for some of this hype and I truly hope it does not harm Audez'e. I don't see them being harmed by reflooding the market with used LCD2's but rather the ability to keep up with the demand of manufacturing. The LCD2 is a "sideline" to their other pro market products ( these lads are well respected in the recording industry - at least so I have been told ) , and not to mention that this entire venture was undertaken while maintaining their day jobs. I have huge respect for them as it was a massive risk to sink all this R&D into a product that they had no idea would be accepted by the fickle HF community. I have no doubt that this demand has far exceeded their initial expectations - HFers are not a patient lot in general, that need for instant gratification ... like an arse itch while visiting the in-laws.

So do I still feel that it is all I initially thought it to be? yes. I did hear it off some not so great amplification and it still manages to show you what it can do, just not with as much finesse.

..dB

I think it lives up to the hype very well. But my gear is clearly unworthy of this headphone.

Nevertheless, some will surely want a brighter sound (I hate too bright sound, like the Grado SR-80), and some will want a midrange with an emotional coloration, like the Yamaha orthos do. Can't imagine so many people wanting more, better or deeper bass, or more uncolored sound though.... but who knows...

One very cool thing about the O2 is the sound is very see-through. This is due to the very open pad mesh, open back housing and zero damping. But the lack of "impact" is there for me, in the sense the notes dont seem to have real life heft.

To me the LCD2 trades some of this 'openess' to gain some heft. I think this might be part of that "delicateness" you mention in the O2.

Overall soundstaging wise the LCD2 is great too, its not an artificially inflated stage, not a zero stage, its nice and 3D in its placement, much like the O2, but because of this 'openess' feeling I mentioned, there is a slightly different way this is presented thats a little hard to pin down for me.

With the Woo WES my O2 Mk1 gained impact out the wazoo, along with a much better soundstage than the GES.

Oh, definitely. The main problem is convincing someone in the local circle to get the LCD2 so we can make a comparison! :D

Hmm... this is a tough one since meet conditions etc. etc. but I really like the soundstage. It's not too wide and not too small, just right according to the recordings. The only headphone that I've ever heard that managed to do this is the R10. The midrange and high are also very delicate and yet detailed? I'm not sure "delicate" is the proper word or not but it's like every note and tone just flow naturally without being forced. Consequently, these can give the impression of lacking impact. The SR404-LE I had heard the other day was definitely more colored and bloated compared to the MK2.

And it's actually comfortable to wear!

I agree.

Those people will jump on and off of the latest "it" train anyway. I do agree that Skylab's review is a temporary boon for Audeze at best, but what impresses me are the reviews by well known, well respected Ortho guys. The real question is will Orthodynamic technology finally reach it's potential, and will that become as accepted as Dynamic or Electrostatic technology?

Personally I really dig the Ortho flavor and have for decades. I have a really good reference point for dBel84's ears, and that's what makes me think this may be the best Ortho available at this time. Of coarse before I spend $900.00 on any headphone I'm going to evaluate it to the best of my ability myself. Ultimately, for me I prefer a more forward nature and the O2 wasn't able to give me that (on the KGSS). The personal debate for me ATM is whether I'll get enough use out of another headphone to justify the price. The K1000 is almost nirvana for me, but a headphone with almost visceral bass is a bit of a revelation.

The WES gives me the perfect mids with O2, and fills them in nicely. Nevertheless I did put myself on the list for an LCD-2, since I have an offer from someone to buy my K1000 and finance the LCD-2. Do you think that would be a mistake? I mainly wish the K1000 had less one-note bass and more bass detail and impact. Mine are a little on the boomy side. But the mids and highs are wonderful.

Hi Larry, Aaron (immtbiker) has one of my K1000 which I bought from Ron (HiFlight). I should get the K1000 back in less than two weeks and would gladly loan it to you if it would help you decide if the K1000 is for you or not. Of course you would have to sell yours and get another K1000 to take care of the sound issue you have with your current example. Shoot me a PM. Cheers.

Thanks miguel, but my K1000 sounded just like Sherwood's K1000 did at RMAF. It's likely that with a 300B amp or RWA 30.2 that I'd be happier with them like you and Ron. Asr's WA22 also did better with them than my ZDT at RMAF, but my SAC amp is also better than ZDT and EHHA with them. You'll likely get yours back sooner if I do sell mine to Aaron. I'm about 90% convinced, but a Beta 22 or BA might solve my problem too.

I want to clarify a little. My K1000 sound just like the other pair I heard, and I believe I have a "bass heavy pair" as is often said about those with an early SN. The bass is not all that bad, but it's just not as well defined or localized as I would like. The K1000 mids and highs + soundstage are so good that I have not wanted to part with them up to this point, allowing me to sell my recabled RS-1 before the K1000. And, they clearly respond with improvement if I select the right amp for them - I've tried a ZDT, EHHA, SAC KH1000, WA5, WA22, Beta 22, and three different inexpensive 5-12 watt speaker amps. The balanced Beta 22 was the best with them. Of the amps I own, the SAC is the best with them.

I think it's just the recent hype of the LCD-2 that has me seriously considering parting with the K1000 to acquire a pair of the Audeze, but I don't want to be disappointed and then have to look for another K1000 again. So any help in this decision would be appreciated. I suppose I could just find another way to finance the LCD-2 without giving up the K1000.

So a small head is the best mod for a sr007?

I am keen to pick up a pair of lcd2's 2nd hand when people get rid of them just to try. I still have hope, but the hype actually scares me a little...

I think the major problem with a lot of reviews is that everyone has the "its new and exciting" vibe when they write them. I mean look at skylabs reviews, not to take anything away from the guy, but they are all basically positive. Whilst this will probably be the case for most paid publications, you'd hope that people could be more critical on public forums. I want a review that talks about what is crap or wrong with a pair of headphones so I can see if thats something I am willing to deal with.

He recently gave a very negative review to the Bowers and Wilkins P5. Also to know what any reviewer really likes just check out what they own.

Larry if you are going to CanJam10 then take your K1000 and compare them w/ the LCD-2. Seems to me that you should get an idea of which you like better, even though it is not an ideal location for critical listening. Cheers.

He recently gave a very negative review to the Bowers and Wilkins P5. Also to know what any reviewer really likes just check out what they own.

darthbeyers?

Personally though, I like his reviews, he writes well, and does a fair job of explaining sound characterstics.

darthbeyers?

Personally though, I like his reviews, he writes well, and does a fair job of explaining sound characterstics.

Actually my comment "check out what they own" was a direct refrence to Darth Beyers. He has sold alll of his Darth Beyers. I've heard him makes comments to the effect that he likes less bass then he used to. I think he likes more refined headphones then he used. We should probably get back to the topic now, sorry guys.

Same with L3000 and K601. The K601 review is actually one of the few <3 star reviews on the HF review system, seems like grade inflation isn't limited to magazines...