TOSLINK (and maybe coax) switcher?

blessingx

Trying to get three sources (one optical only, two either opt or coax) into 1-2 opt/coax jacks (one of each). Been looking for TOSLINK switcher options including some cheapies like this, but then came across this. Admit having the coaxial option would be a plus too. Besides Googling, pretty unaware of the options. Don't care about the bling, just want 1s and 0s passed. And if the switcher would affect support (can't imagine it would if passive, but if active?), 88.2/96 is desired. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Anyone had good luck with anything?

On a related note, that optical only source, a MacBook, may be used with a JHAudio 3a coming, so if I want to go 24-bit with it, a USB or TOSLINK-coax converter is probably in the cards. If that affects the switcher suggestions at all please consider. If there's a converter/switcher so much the better, but trying to keep the price down. And eventually a new DAC is a likelihood, but doubt it will have enough inputs.

• 3 months later...

Looks like a good thread to piggyback on. I'm considering a new CDP with a coaxial input to use the d/a converter. This would come from the mini toslink connection. Lot's of converters out there:

29481.jpg

Monoprice $12

CE-CTC012.jpg

SIIG $25

481916.jpg

M-Audio CO2 $48

391236.jpg

Hosa $85

Pretty obvious the build quality is better on the Hosa and the M-Audio appears to also be well built. But does it matter? I'm thinking it's S/PDIF signal whether toslink optical or coaxial RCA. Any reason to spend more?

Pretty obvious the build quality is better on the Hosa...
Uh...not necessarily, Hosa usually err on the cheap side.

Though, yeah, I don't really think it matters. I seem to remember some items on one of the audiocubes sites (Audio Technica? Yamaha? Denon? don't remember), though, if you want to go all exotic.

I'm fond of M-Audio. I have their Transit (or whatever its precursor was).

Converse to Dusty's experiences, I have had nothing but bad luck with M-Audio. I had a <mumble> USB DAC/ADC that crapped out a month after the warranty expired, and a Audiophile FireWire that never never worked. The radio station where I work has some M Audio monitors that are just awful. It may be that some of their gear is decent, but it as thusfar avoided me. I have a Rat Shak optical to coax (and vise versa) converter that was originally $40 or so, marked down to $5. It has served me very well when I have needed it.

As stated in the OP, not all advistise the same bit support, but if you're only concerned with 16/44.1 that may not matter. That said, the JH3A still isn't out, and the Inday has entered, left and reentered my system for a variety of uses (currently dual DACs and video gear audio) and gotta say it's a nice problem solving piece to have around.

Course it's nearly half the price of an XDA-1, which has a bunch of inputs. ;)