The DIY and audio equipment rut...... where to now?

Beefy

This is probably going to seem like a go-to-Head-Fi thread, but I'm in a bit of a DIY and audio equipment rut, and I really trust Head-Case a whole lot more to get me out of it......

I've built myself DACs for home (Buffalo) and office (y2). I've got an M3 at the office with Audio Technica ESW9's and AD900's, I have the Exstata with SR-Lambdas at home, and I've built and sold a couple of Millett Hybrids. I'm pretty chuffed with all of this equipment, but feel that I'm still a long distance from my audio end-game and really want to keep doing more DIY. So where do I go now? I'd really like to challenge myself with something new to further my electronics skills, and keep thinking that a P-P tube build would be a good idea. Unfortunately, I am severely limited in the tools and workspace required to prepare a chassis for tubes, and even with a workshop I just plain suck at anything mechanical.

ironbut's thread about the Bottlehead Crack got me really interested in P-P tube kits, and it is cheap enough that I could buy one, do some basic upgrades and also grab some HD650's for a completely new flavour from my current phones and amps. But it is a fairly simple kit and I doubt it would kill the DIY bug for very long. The Bottlehead S.E.X. looks like it would be a more interesting and involved build, but the kit is considerably more expensive. And while my budget isn't really that tight, the upgrades I feel I would need to make the S.E.X a really great amp would start getting very expensive, and I doubt I could justify any new phones in there.

So what do you think folks? What would you suggest to further my audio journey, and also satisfy my lust for solder fumes?

First: Can you please describe the difference between the y2 and the Buffalo DAC? [/joke]

I think the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball upgrade would be a good way to satiate your DIY needs. Heck, I went ahead and picked up a kit a few days ago when I saw they were actually available. Never done a P2P build before either so I think it'll be a good experience for me.

a few ideas:

Build a jig to test and measure your past projects

Find an underdocumented project without boards and learn a PCB CAD program and make a set of boards for said project

Modify something

Get into speakers (build speakers, power amp, etc.)

Identify more large scale design decisions that you don't have experience with and build something alon those lines, say a BJT output amp, or a parafeed amp, or solid state transformer coupled amp, etc.

Find a project that gets you involved in another website, say diyaudio.com.

... Just a few ideas, once you narrow it down a bit, i'm sure there will be lots of help choosing something..

First: Can you please describe the difference between the y2 and the Buffalo DAC? [/joke]

Yeah, you can go off some people really quickly...... :D

I think the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball upgrade would be a good way to satiate your DIY needs. Heck, I went ahead and picked up a kit a few days ago when I saw they were actually available. Never done a P2P build before either so I think it'll be a good experience for me.

I just figure the electronics themselves will only keep me busy for a day. The wood finishing and tube rolling will keep me busy for a bit I suppose.

a few ideas:

All most excellent suggestions.

Speakers are a probably no-go because of apartment living, and I'm trying to stick to headphones because I would almost certainly have to abandon anything speaker related if/when I return to Australia. And I did build some kit speakers a couple of years ago, and I think I generally prefer the electronics.

In terms of broad design decisions, I really think that P2P and 'proper' tubes is the one thing I have no experience with. Parafeed, OTL, whatever, wouldn't really matter provided the casework is within my limited resources. As I said, the Bottlehead kits look good to wet my feet...... Mapletree kits are also a possibility, but they don't seem to set my pants on fire quite as much as Bottlehead.

Also looking at things like the Bijou and Hagerman Castanet as possibilities, though less keen on these as they are not P2P.

I have audio ADD (and more specifically DIY ADD) as much if not more than the next guy but I honestly wouldn't be all that excited by the Crack. It's an extremely simple project, designed for the newest of newbies, and while it might teach you a little bit about PTP you don't need it to learn and it's a pretty non-awe-inspiring project from where I sit. It's like saying you love to play baseball and then joining a t-ball league. Sure, you'd be really good, but dang it'd get boring quick.

For someone like yourself who has built some pretty complex projects (albeit PCB based) I'd think you'd find it much more satisfying to find an interesting schematic and go from there. Make yourself do all of the layout work, figure out what you want the aesthetic to look like, etc. I did this with the first Menace and TC and I simply can't adequately say how rewarding a process that was. I still have fun with PCB based builds since I really do enjoy the chassis fab aspect, but I'm itching to get started on the 307A project and expect it'll take months to build it. Also, don't shy away from a scratch build because the chassis fab might be difficult, the Menace TC top panel was done almost entirely in FPE's software. I could have easily done something like this and used a hammond aluminum chassis for the base.

medium.jpg

I just figure the electronics themselves will only keep me busy for a day. The wood finishing and tube rolling will keep me busy for a bit I suppose.

True, I'm mostly looking at it from a getting-my-feet-wet standpoint as I'm a relative noob in the DIY area. Nate's suggestion to build an amp from scratch is probably more your flavor, though the idea of doing something like that scares me :) I'll need to build a few more pcb based projects first before going all out like that, I think.

Nelson Pass has a lot of projects on his diy website. Noone writes like him, or has his sense of humor.

You seem to be itching and leaning towards building a good quality single ended tube amp. I think you should go for it. Someone here can most certainly point you in the right direction for a solid circuit to put together.

As for the mechanical aspects, you would be surprised how much can be done with a cordless drill and reciprocating saw(jig saw), and a few good files. I bore holes all the time over a trash can in my work room.

Edited by digger945

It's like saying you love to play baseball and then joining a t-ball league. Sure, you'd be really good, but dang it'd get boring quick.

Wise words. This is partly why I was leaning towards the S.E.X., but even then I probably won't learn much beyond technique.

I'd think you'd find it much more satisfying to find an interesting schematic and go from there.

I think you're probably right, but I'm just a little concerned that it will take up too much time. Or maybe that is just the excuse I'm using for being lazy and not pushing myself hard enough......

You seem to be itching and leaning towards building a good quality single ended tube amp. I think you should go for it. Someone here can most certainly point you in the right direction for a solid circuit to put together.

Well, it would certainly be something. I mean, I'm pretty sure I could build a B22 or Dynahi without any problems...... but why? It would just be more of the same, really.

Well, it would certainly be something. I mean, I'm pretty sure I could build a B22 or Dynahi without any problems...... but why? It would just be more of the same, really.

Not badmouthing the Beta or Dyna, but I think they would bore you. Your comments in Doug's proto thread. Your starting the Hammond case thread(for which I kinda pooped in the middle of, sorry). Just seems like you want something different. I agree with the others. You would prolly get much more satisfaction from doing the whole thing yourself. Except maybe using one of those Hammond cases.

Wish you could have been in Chicago for Canjam and listened to Ari's Grey Ghost, among many others.

Ever read the tube-cad journal? John Broskie has a ton of cool ideas for projects with Schematics posted.

No, but it would certainly be a good place to go next. Thanks! :)

I've had a bit of a look over Pete Millett's stuff since his was the first name that came to mind after Nate posted, and found this: ECC99 SRPP Headphone Amp. Perhaps on the high end of the first-build difficulty chart, but certainly heading in the right direction.....?

How about another small, relatively inexpensive electrostatic amp? Something like a 12AT7 configured as a long tailed pair, cap coupled to a push-pull pair of EL84's using CCS loads based on IXYS10M90 current regulators. Cap output. Use the cheap but exellent 630v Obligato oil caps all around. Base the whole thing on a single 600V supply. Won't set the world on fire, but it might surprise you. Simple, cheap, point to point, and most importantly, unique to you!

I was thinking the 600 volts might actually be an advantage in this case because you could use it to increase the value of the "tail" resistor, more or less substituting for the negative supply often associated with this circuit. Of course, it still puts 600 across the 12AT7 before the tube conducts. Not a good thing. Of course, there's a lot of other ways to "skin the cat" and get a suitable working voltage. A simple single tube regulator might be an answer.

Still, its very simple.

A simple single tube regulator might be an answer.

See, what you guys are saying isn't exactly striking me as simple...... :)

I grew up in the world of AMB's projects which are exquisitely documented with little to no modification necessary. I can read a schematic and work out how most things work, but I think my limited learning capacity is better spent on learning the logistics of implementing something from scratch rather than trying to dream up something new.

With respect to Stax versus dynamics...... despite it's apparent shortcomings, I don't think I am ready to supplant the Exstata just yet, and there is plenty of the dynamic world I still haven't sampled. Not ever having heard any of the high end Sennheisers or Beyers is a big gap in my listening resume, and something I could definitely remedy with a tube amp for dynamics.

Since you're on something of a budget, have a limited workshop, and want to build P2P, why not find an old case/device and repurpose it? You can find quite a few old electronic devices and test gear if you visit Hamfests and surplus stores. Gut it, and then you should be able to build the amp with terminal strips mounted on small aluminum panels you can get at hobby and hardware stores. You'd be able to do most of it with a hand drill and a couple of files.

OK, how about a simple para-feed "spud " amp based on Electra-Print 5K:32 @30ma transformers? Again, employing the IXYS10M90S and Obligato caps, this time with something like a 12GN7? Very nice little amp, I've built several along these lines. Ctoole has a similar amp based on the 7788.

I think I am sold on the benefits of parafeed based on some of dsavitsk's stuff I have been reading, so that is certainly the direction I am heading..... I am trying to digest his L'espressivo projects right now, and think it might be worthwhile waiting for the DIY L'espressivo kit he and tomb are currently prototyping but building it P2P with better iron. And obviously Pete Millett's ECC99 SRPP that I mentioned earlier. But any other specific schematics you can point me to would be more than welcome! :)

Since you're on something of a budget, have a limited workshop, and want to build P2P, why not find an old case/device and repurpose it? You can find quite a few old electronic devices and test gear if you visit Hamfests and surplus stores. Gut it, and then you should be able to build the amp with terminal strips mounted on small aluminum panels you can get at hobby and hardware stores. You'd be able to do most of it with a hand drill and a couple of files.

Certainly considered this, but Halifax is a small city. I have found one radio club that has one or two swap meets a year, but it certainly isn't what you would see in bigger US locations.

I think that building it Bottlehead style with top plate from FPE and simple wood base will be the best way to go.