Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

I know some people "age" the beans in like rum or bourbon bottles, but I imagine things like sweet cream and vanilla flavors are added chemically.  Or they picked beans that just naturally have those flavor notes.

3 hours ago, grawk said:

I know some people "age" the beans in like rum or bourbon bottles, but I imagine things like sweet cream and vanilla flavors are added chemically.  Or they picked beans that just naturally have those flavor notes.

I was curious if they added natural flavors to the roasting process for example 

From the Coffee Beanery....I have tried none of this, for the record.

HS

What is Flavored Coffee?

Flavored coffee is made by infusing coffee beans with additional flavors to enhance the taste and aroma of the beverage. There are several methods used to create flavored coffee, and here are a few of the common ones:

1. Flavoring during roasting: One method involves adding flavoring agents to the coffee beans during the roasting process. This can be done by applying liquid flavorings or sprays onto the beans before they are roasted. As the beans roast, the flavors penetrate the surface and become absorbed, resulting in flavored coffee.

2. Flavoring after roasting: Another approach is to flavor the coffee beans after they have been roasted. This is typically achieved by using flavored oils or extracts. The roasted beans are mixed or coated with these oils, allowing the flavors to adhere to the surface. The coffee beans are then left to dry, enabling the flavors to be absorbed.

3. Natural flavoring: Some flavored coffees use natural ingredients to add flavor. For example, whole spices, such as cinnamon, vanilla beans, or cocoa nibs, may be added to the coffee beans during the roasting process. As the coffee beans roast, they absorb the natural flavors, resulting in a subtly flavored coffee.

4. Flavored syrups: Flavored syrups are also commonly used to add flavor to coffee. These syrups come in various flavors such as vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, or chocolate. They are added directly to brewed coffee as a sweetener and flavor enhancer, allowing the coffee drinker to customize their beverage according to their preferences.

^^ I think I may hate all of that... :asshat:

I wasn't really going to comment on the roster - I am just a baby roaster - until I clicked on the link. You cannot start out with just lying that it is the largest and get away with it. My little machine does 450g per batch. Now I am not too mad at the price point and it does not seem that they are making anything new here. But good luck to them.

And the IKAWA looks interesting enough but $1300 for a 100g roaster? dang..  -- One review "I consistently have a quality cup of coffee for less than a Starbucks and very little effort". Ha not hard to do for $1300.. :}

Anyway, I have been interested in people's perspective on the whole 'fresh roasted' thing. When I started roasting small batches years ago I would only have enough for a day or so, so it was always 'fresh'. But when I started roasting a full pound at a time and having an extra pound roasted previously. I found that I really prefered the coffee once the roast was about a week old, 5-7 days depending on the roast and bean. Having it 'fresh' I found it a little flat, but nice aromatics. But once it had the time for some off-gassing, I found the flavors on the palate to be much more complex. At least that has been my experience with my coffee and roaster. And these are all via espresso. 

• Like 2

The fanciest roaster near me, guys that are getting Pink Bourbon and Gesha beans, still have a check box on every single bag asking if you want them to grind cardamom in with your beans.  Different strokes.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have read a good bit about letting the beans "rest" (i.e. release gasses) post roasting and generally the roasters I buy from recommend 7-14 days depending on the bean/roast.

Since I have not experimented other than drinking coffee, I can only offer that I used to buy my beans from Memli when they were local (he's since moved to CA).  They improved with a bit of time and then tipped over....concept of peak deliciousness for my personal tastes and then oxidation I'm guessing got the better of them.

My biggest complaint is most roasters I have tried over roast the heck out of the beans for my palate (reference to my pour over beans).  

HS

• Like 1

I needed a replacement pour over scale after my Amazon jobbie gave up the ghost and the replacement was subpar.  Was leaning towards an Acaia Lunar or Lunar S given my experience with the Lunar that got bundled with the espresso maker.

I decided to check out the Timemore Black 2.0 based on some input here and a bit of research.  It was my first purchase on Aliexpress (Alibaba related...again based on a suggestion here).  $43 which is hard to argue with.  Took a bit to arrive but not terrible.

So far it has been pretty good.  It is responsive and accurate.  Only thing I'm still getting used to is the Tare...it's a bit slow and you don't know you got it right...you have to have a split second of faith.  Also, the springs / mechanisms that allow the scale to move and thereby calculate weight are a big "springy or spongy".  Not a big deal but it takes away a from a solid feeling.

My conclusion after only having it a week...good for the money.

HS

IMG_7616.jpeg

IMG_7617.jpeg

IMG_7618.jpeg

IMG_7619.jpeg

IMG_7620.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1