Component video cables.

Knuckledragger

So I am in need of a decent component video cable. It has to be somewhere between 15 and 20 feet long. The closer to 20' the better. Unfortunately, MonoPrice has 15 foot and 20 foot. I'd really rather avoid a 25' cable if I can help it.

I checked on Amazon and found a few results:

Amazon.com: 6M PRO SERIES COMPONENT (87206): Electronics ($22)

Amazon.com: Icarus Black Carbon Component Video Cable (19.6 Feet/6 Meters): Electronics ($26)

Amazon.com: Monster THX Ultra 800 16ft Ultra-High Performance Component Video Cables: Electronics ($20) Yes, Monster FTMFL, as a company, but that price is excellent. In my experience, Monster video cables are not horrid, just vastly overpriced. For whatever reason, this one is on serious sale. I'm not sure 16' is enough, however.

Any other places I should be looking? BJC is obvious, but their component cables cost more than I want to pay.

Would a good set of shielded analog audio RCAs have the same 75 ohm (impedance? termination?) that video cables do? My grasp of this is tenuous at best. It is my understanding that most decent analog video cables are coaxial, while audio are straight or litz wire. Would using audio cables to send component video impact the signal, especially on a ~20' run?

It was my understanding that digital cables and video cables were interchangeable, so you could look at those, too. I tend towards Hosa when I go cheap. That said, they're not usually bundled in threes, so, 'lose', there. Some other non-Monster options:

NXG

Zax

...I also seem to remember Best Buy carrying non-Monster brands of that kind of thing, but I'm not finding the kind of representation of their selection that I remember online, so you're probably going to have to go in. Yes, in December, right before Christmas, I'm suggesting to you to go into a Best Buy. :palm:

If you really want to get even, you can suggest to me to go into a post office.

Technically, no RCA connector is 75 ohms, regardless of the marketing BS. Some commercial RCA cables might use 75 ohm coax as the cable (Belden 1505, etc.). You could do some of these:

Enjoy The Music's Max Rochlin Memorial Digital & Video Cable.

(6) Redco Audio - Canare RCAP-C4F Male RCA Crimp Style @ $3.50ea = $21 (or available at markertek as well for $4.09 ea)

(6) Canare Corporation Of America Canare CB25 Colored Cable Boots for LV-61S / L-4CFB / V-4CFB Cable Connector Boots at Markertek.com @ $0.25 = $1.50

(2 each in red, green and blue)

(60') Belden CDT Inc Belden 1505A RG59/20 HD and SDI Digital Coaxial Cable Bulk Digital Video Cable at Markertek.com @ $0.49 = $29.40

some heatshrink, techflex and maybe a bit of Caig ProGold. Don't need the Canare crimper really, just a soldering iron for the pins and some pliers. So $50+ in parts, versus the $112 that BJC charges for their 1505F cable or $85 for their 1694a cable.

All you cable Nay Sayers, I won't even mention the Siltech Silver/Gold component cables I have sitting around. At this point I'd sell them for much less than I paid for them (And I was the Importer), but it would still probably be more than most on this forum would be willing to spend.

All you cable Nay Sayers, I won't even mention the Siltech Silver/Gold component cables I have sitting around. At this point I'd sell them for much less than I paid for them (And I was the Importer), but it would still probably be more than most on this forum would be willing to spend.

This is video we are talking about.

With a decent monitor or projector and a good source the differences in video cables are readily apparent. it's just that component is sort of dead (although not as dead as S-Video). My current projector and flat panels don't even support S-Video.

It was my understanding that digital cables and video cables were interchangeable, so you could look at those, too.

Indeed. I have used composite video cables for coax digital on many occasions. A few years ago I got a number of 6' cables quite cheaply, and I made my own "DIY" component cables by using colored electrical tape to mark the cables R G B. Unfortunately, I don't have access to cheap 15-20' coax RCAs.

Those look very similar to the "6M PRO SERIES COMPONENT" on Amazon and are slightly cheaper.

Yes, in December, right before Christmas, I'm suggesting to you to go into a Best Buy. :palm:

HAHAHAHA. No. Not even if the cute chickie I used to know started working there again.

I am familiar enough with SilTech and their prices (the local Spearit Sound has pushed them for years) that even used and "obsolete" I can't imagine the cost of a long run of component is within my price range or "resist guffawing" buffer.

As I said in my first post, BJC is more than I want to spend. Don't get me wrong, I <3 BJC, and have a number of their analog audio cables, but my current purpose, BJC is overkill. I have exactly one unit that requires the use component video. It is my 10 year old Rotel DVD player, which is better at dealing scratched disks than any machine I have ever encountered. Everything else I care about is HDMI and I have the long runs done thanks to MonoPrice.