Cheap HDMI to optical converter

deepak

I was always under the belief that spdif was just one of the things carried by the hdmi cable, and that you could just open up a cable and break it out. Maybe the issue is telling the source that there is something connected at all?

This one is a little cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-Component-Ypbpr-Converter-v1-3b/dp/B002SFT3ZI

Edited by dsavitsk

I was always under the belief that spdif was just one of the things carried by the hdmi cable, and that you could just open up a cable and break it out. Maybe the issue is telling the source that there is something connected at all?

This one is a little cheaper: http://www.amazon.co...b/dp/B002SFT3ZI

Thanks! That is considerably cheaper.

I'm not sure if it is possible to use a modified HDMI cable off the Oppo. The way these are ripped the digital is never converted to analog.

If I do end up doing this, I'll make it a free service for any Casers.

Did a little looking and SPDIF isn't carried by the HDMI cable. The video and the audio share the same data lines so you need to have some active components to split up the two streams.

The amazon one looks to be the least expensive and I think its funny that right in the details it says "Does not support AppleTV" and then there's one reviewer who is complaining that it doesn't work with his AppleTV...

• 7 months later...