B&W 802 Series 80 repair

The Monkey

My parents have an old pair of B&W 802 Series 80 speakers. I've read that these are still considered pretty decent, but I'm concerned about the condition these are in. I'd like to replace parts like the binding posts and maybe parts of the crossovers. How difficult is this type of thing? Could an advanced beginner DIYer do it?

The speakers look like this (these aren't the actual speakers):

B+W_802.jpg

Hard to tell, actually. According to my Dad, at some point the speakers caused the amp to blow a fuse. Is that possible? I also think the right speaker cuts in and out. Finally, the binding posts are old and dirty, so actually getting them hooked up right now is difficult if not impossible. I'm not sure how the current posts ever worked in the first place to be honest.

Yeah, if the binding posts still make good connections I'd just leave them. But if the crossovers have electrolytic caps, it'd be a good idea to replace them.

Edit: Nvm, do replace the binding posts. And caps if they're 'lytic. Should be pretty straightforward, depending on how easy it is to open up the cabinets.

Hard to tell, actually. According to my Dad, at some point the speakers caused the amp to blow a fuse. Is that possible? I also think the right speaker cuts in and out. Finally, the binding posts are old and dirty, so actually getting them hooked up right now is difficult if not impossible. I'm not sure how the current posts ever worked in the first place to be honest.

It is very possible for a speaker to blow an amp.

Check the web to see if you can find the "impedance VS frequency" response graph for the speakers your parents have. If it dips much below 4ohms anywhere some amps will go poof. If it dips below 2ohms many amps will go poof.

Regarding cutting in and out: I dont know. Id try to clean the binding posts first.

Obviously he needs to remove the crossovers and replace them with digital active crossovers and amps. Also the driver elements and the cabinets.

Solves ooh so many problems.

Replace the drivers & cabinets with horns? I like!

Yeah, if the binding posts still make good connections I'd just leave them. But if the crossovers have electrolytic caps, it'd be a good idea to replace them.

Edit: Nvm, do replace the binding posts. And caps if they're 'lytic. Should be pretty straightforward, depending on how easy it is to open up the cabinets.

I've read that replacing the caps on these is pretty easy. But you are, of course, correct; depends on getting them open.

It is very possible for a speaker to blow an amp.

Check the web to see if you can find the "impedance VS frequency" response graph for the speakers your parents have. If it dips much below 4ohms anywhere some amps will go poof. If it dips below 2ohms many amps will go poof.

Regarding cutting in and out: I dont know. Id try to clean the binding posts first.

Yeah, all of the contacts in the system could use a nice cleaning. Is that Caig Deoxit stuff worth it, or is it so much snake oil?

B&W is notorious for using really cheap caps in the crossovers, and there is a lot of room for improvement. Likely that even some solens, or something like them, will make a big difference.

I've read that replacing the caps on these is pretty easy. But you are, of course, correct; depends on getting them open.

You have to remove a driver and pull the crossover out that way. Then, desolder and replace. Mine were a pain, but then mine had smaller diameter drivers which gave less room for reaching into the cabinets. Not sure whether the matrix construction will block access, though.

Also, when my B&W's got old, some rubber o-rings started decomposing. I emailed a B&W rep who sent me a whole new set.

Edited by dsavitsk

Yeah, all of the contacts in the system could use a nice cleaning. Is that Caig Deoxit stuff worth it, or is it so much snake oil?

Deoxit works pretty well - I've cleaned up a lot of scratchy old pots and other stuff with it.

Recapping the crossovers won't be too bad once you get them out of the cabinets. Be thankful there's no power supply.

Hm, I'm actually learning this now, so please correct me if I'm wrong. When I have time I'm going to derive the transfer functions for the various order Butterworths and draw Bode diagrams but I'm busy right now. 4th order Butterworth, high pass on the tweeter, band pass on the mid, and low pass on the woofers, the diodes just before the drivers in conjunction with the cap to ground form a half wave rectifier with a zener diode shunt regulator to power the protection circuit which has got some Sziklai pair thingy going on?

Edited by mypasswordis

Looking at the schematic, depending on where the short is, and whether or not

the protection circuit is working right, it sure could cause some trouble.

I think there are only 2 wires to the midrange/tweeter, if those are shorted

it would definitely blow the fuse when the protection circuit releases the relay.

Edited by kevin gilmore

Saw this B&W answer in one of the FAQs at the support site:

We usually find that customers who alter crossover components are not fully satisfied with the results. They find that some aspects are improved, but others made worse. A classic case of this is when a polypropylene or other very low-loss type substitutes an electrolytic capacitor. We all know that polypropylene capacitors can sound inherently better, but the change in internal losses changes the response of the filter, which is designed assuming the losses of the electrolytic component. What usually happens when the low loss component is fitted is that the corners of the roll-off are sharpened, giving a peak in the combined response that can make the sound unpleasant in various ways depending on the crossover frequency. One way of getting round this is to wire a small resistor in series with the capacitor to approximate the original losses. I say approximate because the loss factor is a frequency dependent resistance. The actual value you need depends on the original capacitor loss factor and its capacitance value. The larger the value, the lower the resistance for a given loss factor. The formula for the equivalent resistance is:

R = d / 2
  • Like 1

Basically they admit to using cheap electrolytic caps and say that they tune the values with the losses in mind. So if you want to replace the caps with better caps, you have to compensate somehow. But yeah, if you're just going to replace them with same value same type capacitors, make sure the electrolytics are nonpolar or they're going to blow.

Another point that they touch on is if you are replacing a lossy cap with a good cap plus a series resistance of 0.8 ohms (their example) to compensate, why bother? I guess you would have to try it, or better if someone was able to analyze the FR, phase etc. changes that you brought about with your tweaks. And of course, listening.