Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

www.Head-Case.org

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Knuckledragger

High Rollers
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Knuckledragger

  1. Holy dog's bollocks. I just got a Leica C3 at the local second hand shop. For $6.
  2. The reason I always write it as "Millet(t) Hybrid" is because my HRDMH was a production sample and in addition to having the "Home" upgrade, it also bears a typo: When I contacted Headroom a decade ago when I bought it, the staff member I spoke to expressed surprise that it had been sold. It still smells faintly of pot smoke.
  3. 800s landed. Preliminary tests make me think "gee, these sound pretty good." This is using my 2004 GLite Mk I and Pico DAC (quality, but ultimately humble kit.) I really need to re-tube my HR Millet(t) Hybrid serial #1 and see how it drives the 800s. What I remember is that the HRMH makes everything sound more lush.
  4. Squeak squeak. Apple's energy efficiency is nothing short of amazing, but their marketing is crap. Squeak.
  5. I have exactly one neighbor. His name is Gary. He's a genuine boomer, turning 70 this year. He is some kind of special needs. In his day, on Marthas Vineyard, there wasn't much in the way of diagnosis so he just kind of got by. He lived with his mother until she passed on my birthday this year at the age of 93(!) Now Gary lives alone, and I live here on MV. Gary does okay, but my (sainted, octogenarian) mother does have some worries about him. He mentioned to her that his electric bill was over $200 this month. She said to me "you have an awful lot of spare LED bulbs, you should see if Gary would let us replace some of his incandescents." She wasn't wrong. For reasons not entirely worth explaining, I have 3-4 boxes of LED bulbs I brought with me to the Vineyard. My father was a hoarder of antique furniture. He built barns to hold it all: In spite of the thousands of records and CDs I own, not to mention the nightclub's worth of lighting gear (and all the stereo equipment) I own, I have always rejected the notion that I am a hoarder. Except for lightbulbs. I have to cop to it. I compulsively bought CFL bulbs when those were a thing, and then moved on to LED bulbs when they arrived. I have done some pretty neat things with them. I restored a bunch of antique lamps: (For colored bulbs, CFLs are better than LED. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.) Even with the lamps above and many more, I have a vast excess of LED bulbs. Today, with Gary's permission I went through his house and wrote down all of the bulbs I thought he could use. Then I went up to my attic where it was 115 goddamn degrees and dragged down a few boxes. I then spent an hour replacing the bulbs in most of Gary's house. I did most of the living area, and discussed with him a few spots I could not get to (the garage and basement.) He seemed pleased. Also I have (slightly) fewer bulbs kicking around now.
  6. Thanks for the info. I should not be surprised that C clamps are basically useless these days. My father was a very (mid) 20th century man, and was highly resistant to change. He got away with it primarily by being the smartest person in the room, and never above using that to his advantage. Upon reflection this is only a small part of his collection, which means there's a bunch more I still need to unearth. I should add he never did any original construction with these, they were use to repair antique furniture.
  7. Serious question for wood workers of HC: How much do good cast iron C-clamps cost these days? Sizes 4" to 12" with a few odd bigger ones. My father had a bunch, which were made in the 1980s. Many are quite deep. I don't have much use for them, but stubborn idiot that I am, I took every last one of them to MV with me. I left behind his bar clamp collection ...for now. I've seen a lot of C-clamps for sale online, many for less than $25. Most of them look like pure sintered Chinesium to me. Where do serious woodworkers go to buy clamps these days?
  8. This song will now get stuck in your head.
  9. Somebody turns 80 today. There's certainly no other earthly reason I'd post this particular album cover. No siree....
  10. Still on 128kbsp internet for now. https://i.imgur.com/SnNidmm.jpg Also I am a terrible person.
  11. This is more "Burn in Hell" than RIP, but it is noteworthy: NH Nazi Leader Dead Day After Teatotaller Incident in Concord. Now there's a line. There's a zoomer meme that's appropriate here.
  12. I heard that if the Stax Mafia were real, that they use old Krell amps as cement shoes. Good thing for you they don't exist, huh?
  13. I absolutely loathe most modern pickup trucks. me_irl
  14. Fujifim suspends X100V orders likely due to overwhelming demand, component shortage; raises questions about viability of successor. The Fuji X100 series are HUGELY popular with Tik Tokers, which has driven the demand and price of them through the stratosphere. NIB X100Vs are like $2000 on the used market. An X100 series has been on my "maybe buy one" list for many years, but at this point I'm looking at a Canon mirrorless and the 35mm F/2 IS.
  15. YouTube is the one website I encourage to track my every move on it, because it occasionally spits out some suggestions even I had no idea I'd like: I was only ever peripherally aware of Fanny. I had a hippie aunt who liked them when they were contemporary. This cover is interesting. Captain Obvious here, the original is better. I love that it's considered one of the "lesser" Beatles songs. Like most of their works, it has its own Wiki page. Fascinating read.
  16. So I'm on 128kbps internet for the next 10 or so days. It's like a certain 1994 FSOL album up in this piece. With that said, here's a paradoxical sounding Quick Slow:
  17. Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi dies. Bunga bunga no more.
  18. To be fair GRRM has a head start on the whole not writing thing.
  19. Not worthy of its own thread: Drobo is Officially Done as the Company Moves Into Liquidation. For years I used one as my primary backup. See here on my very crowded desk, a decade ago.
  20. As someone who grew up on 80s wrestling, I recognized early how important a good heel was to any narrative. Clown ass Hulk Hogan owes a huge amount of his success to wrestlers like the Sheik and Andre the Giant.
  21. While I'm not where near my late 00s output, I have begun to take, edit and post photos at a rate that I have not in over a decade. Just a short walk from my house. The 17-40L is a bit silly at the wide end (TBH just about everything that wide is) but I end up using it that way more often than not. I attribute this to a lack of discipline on my part. Conversely, the 17-40 is actually amazing at 40mm. Infrared version of a scene I posted earlier (points up.) IR is never not a PITA. Out of the camera, this shot looks awful. I spent over an hour futzing with it. First I denoised in Topaz DeNoise AI. Next ran it through Luminar 4 where I made a bunch of changes and applied a lookup table. I've begun to use L4 for the conversion to B&W. It's basically as good as (my totally legit copy of) Photoshop for that task. I also applied a lookup table, which made a fairly subtle difference. Lastly, I dragged the image into PS, removed some dirt spots and fixed the [gosh darn] horizon line. I actually quite like the end result. I've been moving toward "normal" looking IR images (vs freakish alien landscape) for a while now. Other than the odd tone curve, one might not immediately notice this is an IR photo. Downtown Edgartown. Similar, but not quite as involved process as above. Luminar 4 manages to add so much noise to images with its pseudo HDR math (even when I specifically disable most of it) that I have found I need to do both "before" and "after" passes in Topaz. This is a much more obviously IR shot. I do like the strong beam of light from the late afternoon sun. Edgartown docks. Less processing than some of the shots above, but I still did a careful B&W conversion and spent considerable time on the levels. Across the street fro my house. What makes this photo for me is the tiny jet with the contrail between the clouds. I've also been editing some older photos, specifically a bunch from 2008: Two shots of the late Heidi the cat, surveying her kingdom and ...doing cat stuff, I guess. Taken with the very good Canon 85mm F/1.8 I borrowed for a few days. The 85/1.8 is a great lens that forever lives in the looming shadow of the glass Gojira that is its F/1.2 brother. Exiting a bar on Christmas Eve, 2011. PowerShot S95 wide open (F/2) 1/13th handheld, ISO200. I didn't like the photo when I took it, but nearly a dozen years later I think it captures a mood. My driveway after a blizzard, January 2009. Light source is my house + car's headlights. A few weeks earlier that same January. Cold sunset over a Stop & Shop parking lot. Back to the present day. Some odd cloud formations over my back yard. Moment app on an iPhone 13, with minimal futzing in PS afterward. I've got a bunch more to post, but this is going to have to do for now. Flickr has gone "503 Service Unavailable. No server is available to handle this request." half a dozen times while I've tried to make this post.
  22. Knuckledragger replied to Fitz's topic in Games
    The Bobby Parable.
  23. I own one of the red ones. I have never successfully taken a photo with it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.