And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I woke up today at 7:45AM ...after going to bed at 11:30AM yesterday. (I was awake for about an hour in between.) I had just a wee bit of a sleep deficit after the holidays. Yesterday I DJ'd the afterparty from ~7AM-10AM, starting at ~60BPM and working my way up to a breakneck 110BPM. Uncharacteristically, I drank little bit while I was out. An old friend of mine surprised me with a bottle of Laphroaig 10.

Today I've been idly cleaning the house, making a tertiary backup of all my non-music, non-photo data, and working on a giant pot of chili (now in its 6th hour of cooking). Tomorrow I have two friends from out of town visiting. I plan on keeping things low key.

Sorry Jacob, I am sure those visits take all the patience you can gather.

Isn't the blade on the Akifusa convex? Either way taking the sides down even just a degree and doing it smoothly and retaining the polish takes a tremendous amount of concentration. Impressive coordination and concentration you must have. So how does the Akifusa stack up to the Hattori? Are they close? Very close?

Survived helping host party number three in three days, this one being all my in laws - that's 5 adults and 6 kids (age 8 months to 12 years) in addition to us two and our two kids. This was after hosting a guest family who had three kids (5 months to 7 years) overnight for New Years Eve, and the double birthday Friday in the daytime (number of kids=~infinity) for the Gotchas. I'm just exhausted in every way.

I have to say that Anne made a terrific dinner for New Year's Eve - salad was a walnut and Stilton dressed wedge of iceberg with homemade vinaigrette, rosemary and thyme roasted beef tenderloin with a tomato Madeira confit, garlic smashed potatoes, then for dessert, a Bavarian cream with a fresh squeezed tangerine sauce and topped with candied tangerine rind. I think it's the best meal she's ever cooked!

So Anne's settling in with some movie off Netflix streaming (new for us for Christmas), I've donned the cans, and we're both sipping some Eagle Rare. *Sigh* Feels good ...

Jacob, so sorry about your Mom. That sounds just awful and exhausting.

Jim, good luck with getting tenure!

Congrats to the rowing crew! I haven't done much exercise at all over the holidays, great job all!

Locked my FUCKING keys in my FUCKING car. banghead.gif

Ohhhhh, that's gotta suck. A friend did that to his truck when we were out to lunch once, and our unskilled asses had no luck with a slimjim. If it weren't for this super friendly Mexican guy who managed to get the vent window open, he would've had to call a locksmith.

Locked my FUCKING keys in my FUCKING car. banghead.gif

Oh boy. I know precisely how you feel, and how difficult it is to break into a modern car. Worst for me was around ten years ago, in January, in a very remote car park. I'd been out for a trail run, and got back drenched with sweat, opened car and tossed keys on seat. Closed car door to go round and get dry kit out of the boot (trunk) and the central locking randomly fired, locking my keys in and leaving me getting progressively frozen standing outside. I'll not bore you with the tale of woe that ensued.

Hope you got your keys back fairly painlessly. The last time I did that with my old car, the AAA guy commented that my car (Civic) was one of the most difficult one to get into. I got my keys back, but the driver-side door got bent ever so slightly, resulting in noticeable increase in the road noise.

Catching up after hosting too many New Year's events:

Good luck on tenure, Jim. I too think it is a lock!

I hope you ca tune out your mom while she is on a downer, Jacob. Just focus on other stuff like getting well enough to travel.

Have fun in the snow, Pete. The kids must be loving it!

Good luck with the hearing, Mike. Plead ignorance!

Hope you're finally feeling better, Nate, and that the family cycle of sickness has run its course.