RIP Christopher Hitchens

Grahame

In the last year a ton of videos have appeared from the past. Check out this Buckley v. Hitchens one looking back to the 60s. Really f*&kin' good (try to ignore host and his props). Also interesting to watch as he took the other side in more recent events (may even help clarify the reasons).

Err... Archbishop John Onaiyekan and Ann Widdencombe.

At the risk of pigeon-holing him as just a New Atheist, here's a particularly relavent vid...

And not my favorite, but worth watching his Mother Teresa critique...

Edited by blessingx

I used to like his stuff in The Nation. I saw him speak in Chicago in early 2001. He showed up very late, appeared to be very drunk, and was pretty incoherent. I found most of his post 9/11 commentary to be pretty repellent, and I largely stopped paying any attention to him.

A not so nice writeup, http://www.salon.com..._figure_deaths/

And an apropos and ironic quote from Orwell (from the article), "The people who write that kind of stuff never fight; possibly they believe that to write it is a substitute for fighting. It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever gets near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propaganda-tours."

Edited by dsavitsk

Plenty of material on YouTube. Quite the legacy.

If you want some insight into the man and his life, you could do worse than his memoir Hitch 22

300x300.jpeg

The local library had the unabridged version on 15 Cd's. All the better for the authors delivery and inflection.

Plenty of Debates out there. I Liked the Munk debate on religion, if only to see Tony Blair get Hitchslapped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYMyxa5fysI&list=UUO2aPSqobmHAeeV7SOOEtIw&index=1&feature=plcp

or a nice line about Sarah Palin