Windows installation problems - Help?

So... after a lot of talking/yelling at Acer, I finally got the replacement HDD, reinstall discs, and whatnot to fix my 4 month old machine that's been down for 2 months :palm:

After 4 installs today, some phone calls, and some searching on an iPad, I'm about to just "throw it on the ground." Before I do this, or send it back to them (sigh), I thought I'd see if you guys can help.

I haven't been able to load windows. I get this:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware (Toshiba 640GB HDD) or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer." (I just have the Acer disc, and it does not have this option)

If you do not have this disc, contact your system adninistrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: TDI.SYS

Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

From the research I've done, it seems I could type:

bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

The only problem with that workaround to the digital signature (or just installing Toshiba drivers that make 64 bit Windows happy) is that I can't get to a command prompt. When I go to the boot menu setting to allow unigned drivers, it still doesn't boot.

Any thoughts before I just give up and steal Dan's new MBA?

**BRENT**

Would it help for me to send you my Win7 OEM install disc?

It'd help if you drove it up... Just call when you're close. ;)

Is there a way to download a W7 install disc from MS as long as you have a valid key? If I could just get to the option to repair it, I may be OK. Or if I could just get to a cmd prompt, even.

**BRENT**

I'm not sure I get the problem, but it seems to me that your windows doesn't activate for the system thinks you're trying to install the same W7 on two different computers. This is what happens when you change important system parts as mobo, CPU, HDD and network adapter.

Maybe it will get bypassed using the OEM disc instead of the Acer disc.

Doesn't the Windows key match you to the original computer you were using? So even with a Windows installation disc, won't it still think it's a different computer based on components list and Windows key? If that's the case, then Microsoft would have to allow it on their end, right? Not easy, but maybe getting MS permission for that particular key?

On second thought, I wonder if you should just insist on a replacement machine at this point? Elevate your trouble ticket to the highest possible level, then insist on a full refund, but settle for a replacement machine.

Edited by jvlgato

Is there a way to download a W7 install disc from MS as long as you have a valid key? If I could just get to the option to repair it, I may be OK. Or if I could just get to a cmd prompt, even.

You can try this: http://forum.noteboo...tml#post7822528. Never used it myself as I have always had legit media, so no promises.

As for inserting your own Acer OEM product key after installation, you can try this: http://forums.mydigi...9816#post149816. Just make sure you insert the right certificate.

And just for general info, a great idea for clean-installing on machines with OEM Windows - but not using bloatware-loaded disks from the manufacturer - is to use Windows ABR: http://directedge.us...kup-and-restore. Worked perfectly to keep the OEM product key when I clean-installed Win7 x64 on my new Thinkpad.

Edited by Beefy

Grrrr... iPads need more ram.

Had a big, long reply and it had to refresh the page when I came back from another link.

This is a new replacement hdd from Acer installing using Acer supplied discs on a 4 month old Acer laptop. Blank drive, clean install. The difference is they sent a Toshiba drive to replace a WD Scorpio Blue that it shipped with. I figure the disc doesn't have the drivers for the Toshiba drive.

The next step. They say, is sending it in for repair... Which means another 2-3 weeks without a machine. Think I should call and demand a replacement instead? This is infuriating.

@Beefy... I may try some of those options... But at this point, it will be late tomorrow or Monday before I have time to work on it again.

Thanks guys... Anything else you can think of would be appreciated.

**BRENT**

The install disc needs to be aware of the Hdd controller though. Which if has some weird firmware or drivers that the installation media does not like it will keep throwing errors. Happened on a really old dell when I tried to change the Hdd. It may very well have been something else entirely but the drive worked elsewhere so I don't know what else it could have been.

Second what john said. Ask for refund. If you get it take the money and save up for something more reliable. Otherwise settle for a replacement.

a hard drive shouldn't require drivers, as it needs to be used long before the operating system gets involved.

That's what I thought too...

The install disc needs to be aware of the Hdd controller though. Which if has some weird firmware or drivers that the installation media does not like it will keep throwing errors. Happened on a really old dell when I tried to change the Hdd. It may very well have been something else entirely but the drive worked elsewhere so I don't know what else it could have been.

Second what john said. Ask for refund. If you get it take the money and save up for something more reliable. Otherwise settle for a replacement.

There is something amiss, and since it mentioned new hardware or software, and the hdd was the only new variable...

The thing that sucks is that I really like the hardware... A 599$ machine I dealed and couponed down to 33% off, locally, has virtually everything I wanted. There isn't anything else, build/battery wise that I like until the HP Envy series or MBA, which come in at 500-1000$ more, and that just isn't fiscally responsible at this point.

Grrrr... Maybe I'll call tomorrow and try to get one of the Americans on the phone and try to appeal to their holiday weaknesses.

**BRENT**

Acer TimelineX AS5830T... i3-2310/4/640/15.6"/7-8 hour real world batt life, mostly aluminum casing (plastic on bottom only), 399$ out the door. I type a lot, and it has a nice keyboard. Not great, but good. Also has USB 3.0 and S/PDIF. I can meet it spec wise, mostly, but haven't seen build quality (harddrive withstanding) to match it for under about 800$. Saw an i5 Envy for 829$, but that's in the fiscally irresponsible realm.

**BRENT**

Maybe the problem is they didn't properly mount the HDD into the machine, or didn't set up the BIOS to fully recognize it. The controller didn't change as far as we know, and the HDD doesn't need specific different drivers depending on the brand. It's either this or that some stupid checking file in the installation CDROM isn't recognizing the installation as an authorized one and aborts it at some point. In either case they need to look at it, or refunding you.

Yeah, sounds like you'll have to send it in for repair. Are you sure it takes two weeks, though? My Dell repairs were usually less than a week. But maybe I had some sort of business support plan. Maybe if they won't just replace it, you can convince them they at least owe you a faster turnover?

• 1 month later...

Update: I got a Win7 ISO and installed that, after a few tries, and the machine worked great... for about 30 hours. Then there were problems again. Tried installing the OEM again, didn't work, so I installed off the ISO again. It worked a couple hours then crashed a lot. I got it sent off a while ago and got it back today. They say all they did was reinstall windows to factory settings and update the BIOS (which is what I tried to do 14 times, with the discs they provided). Well, they installed it for the wrong model, but after some messing around with it I got everything I've come across to work.

So far, it hasn't bogged down yet. We'll see how it is in a few days, but for now, I have a working machine again. Thanks for all the help, guys... a couple of you, especially.

Next time, though... I'm just gonna get a MacBook Air. Screw it.

**BRENT**