NY meet June 2nd 2012

bozebuttons

• 2 weeks later...

Great job with the meet, Tom.

I gotta say, I was blown away by the difference between the KGSSHV and a Headamp KGSS. I had heard that the KGSS isn't in the same league as the HV, but until I heard it for myself I wouldn't have believed the difference could be that big. We had the KGSSs stacked on top of each other and running off the same source with dual 009s so the comparison doesn't get any better than that. I'm usually not one to put a ton of stock into meet impressions, but in this case it was like you were listening to totally different music.

The comparison with the Headamp BHSE to the KGSSHV on the other hand is the kind of comparison I'd much rather do in a quiet enviornment. I heard the BHSE as sounding slightly better, but the difference there was no where near the chasm that separated the KGSS and the HV.

I also gotta say I was pretty impressed with the LCD-3s. If I still owned a dynamic rig, I'd think about grabbing a pair of them to compliment the 009s. The two headphones sound very different, but in a good way. We had them running next to the HV using the HV's loop outs into Kerry's $69-challenge amp and I was impressed with the sound.

I didn't, but others did.

I own the 009s. As for the 007s, I only get to listen to them at meets. Naturally I'm totally incompetent in judging gear through an unfamiliar headphone, so most of the time I don't even listen to it. Nevertheless, the difference is so massive with the 009s that I'm sure you'll hear it right away with the 007s as well.

I actually think we only live about a few miles away from each other. If you'd like to do the comparison yourself just let me know and we might be able to arrange something. I could let you borrow the HV for a week or two.

There is a difference but the KGSS still holds its own. It's warmer in tone and more forgiving than the HV. The truly interesting comparison would be to use the stock KGSS circuit with the HV PSU and running at a higher voltage. This is how the idea for the KGSSHV initially started so I'm going to build one soon. :) I'm also building one with different output devices but running at +/-350V to see how I like it.

I agree 100% with your assessment, Birgir. The amps are totally different flavors. While the HV is far and away the clearer and harder hitting of the two, the KGSS still sounds really nice and is much more forgiving.

I listened to about 5 tracks on the pair and I did prefer the regular KGSS on one of them. Its kind of a fun comparison to do.

The more powerful stat amps just kill when it comes to punch and clarity, but they do that at the expense of warmth and forgiveness.

I agree 100% with your assessment, Birgir. The amps are totally different flavors. While the HV is far and away the clearer and harder hitting of the two, the KGSS still sounds really nice and is much more forgiving.

I listened to about 5 tracks on the pair and I did prefer the regular KGSS on one of them. Its kind of a fun comparison to do.

The more powerful stat amps just kill when it comes to punch and clarity, but they do that at the expense of warmth and forgiveness.

That's where the DIY T2 does both :D