New Ultimate Ears *custom custom in-ear thingies

Wmcmanus

Seems interesting...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612445/ultimate-ears-personal-reference-monitors-the-custom-custom-in-ear-monitor

Of course, I never know what my "sonic preferences" are from day to day, so no doubt I'd fuck it up from the get go, and end up with an unlistenable and unsellable pair of $2k earrings. The fancy wood choices sure are dandy though.

This whole idea assumes that people know what they like more than designers and engineers. That's placing an awful lot of confidence in the consumer who often doesn't know what to think until told. I'd expect lots of V-curves deeper than an 80's glam-rock group's plunging necklines.

Resale on this thing has to be terrible - you'd have to find someone with your exact sonic preferences who would then reshell (which UE does not offer as a service to its customers.)

What I'd really like is a UERM connected to a box like a JH3A with Bricasti-like filters. That way it would fit whatever preference you seem to have that day.

Edited by Tari

^this. Why would you want fixed response, when you could adjust and save settings yourself, giving you multiple (writeable) presets to choose from? Other than perceived exclusivity and margins?

I guess because some people think they know everything, so it therefore becomes all about about the buzz and the ego trip of being able to sit down for an hour or two to fidget with the little box until you can say, "That's it! It's a wrap!" The same people who think they can review every pair of headphones on the planet and tell us exactly what is good, bad or indifferent about them (and then are willing to fight to defend their impressions). That's the audience they're looking for.

I think this is more meant for musicians who want to fine-tune their sound even more more, rather than capturing the yuppie wanker market, but I could be wrong. I would think that if you are a musician, and if you have some degree of uneven hearing loss or some specific preference, a monitor tuned exactly the way you want it to be would be good. Though again how this is better than an equalizer, I don't know, and then there is the price tag. Still, intrinsically I don't think this is a bad idea. Still not going to get one though because not JH13?

UE blurb seems to imply that the "pro mixer" is the target market

The Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors are designed for professional studio engineers and producers for use during recording, mixing and mastering original music content. Other applications include FOH venue tuning, live recording and mixing. This is also an excellent product for “audiophile” or serious music listener because of its natural and authentic sound reproduction.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/ue/custom-in-ear-monitors/devices/Reference-Monitors

I think you underestimate the power of the yuppie wanker market.

UE blurb seems to imply that the "pro mixer" is the target market

The Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors are designed for professional studio engineers and producers for use during recording, mixing and mastering original music content. Other applications include FOH venue tuning, live recording and mixing. This is also an excellent product for “audiophile” or serious music listener because of its natural and authentic sound reproduction.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/ue/custom-in-ear-monitors/devices/Reference-Monitors

^^^ those aren't the super double secret ultra custom mega reference monitors. You can tell since the list price is only half. Plus it doesn't have enough adjectives.

Edited by morphsci

Yes, it is my go to listening tool when I'm not listening to my speakers

They are going to be at the NY meet tomorrow.

I also use the JH3a & love them.

Oh, nice. Do you guys have any experience with the JH13s? If you do, how do they compare, briefly?

Sorry if this is going off-topic though, I hope that's fine. It's just that there's really not much about them out there.

Oh, nice. Do you guys have any experience with the JH13s? If you do, how do they compare, briefly?

Sorry if this is going off-topic though, I hope that's fine. It's just that there's really not much about them out there.

Well, Leonardo, just buy it and let us know 000-dancing.gif

There's a good solution! laugh.png

I actually haven't ditched the idea yet. It's just that I have some other priorities at the moment, but I reckon I'll jump on that boat as soon as I get the chance. I care a lot about music on the go but get slightly underwhelmed by those high-end DAPs. I now have both the HM-801 and DX100, and apart from the ability to play very demanding headphones, I find it hard to justify their price. With my JH13s they're hard to tell apart from an iPod Classic... so I guess to me a JH-3A with an iPod is a much better solution!

Edited by Leonardo Drummond