Most rugged, reasonably priced mouse?

I no longer feel comfortable traveling with my Logitech Trackman, as that is discontinued and sells for > US$100 on Amazon, much less eBay. And I don't seen an equivalent, although I'll be getting the Logitech wireless thingy to try.

So...any recommendations on rugged mice? I want something I can throw in my bag that can endure the abuse I plan on giving it. Especially the buttons. Or should I get a hard clamshell or something to protect it? Not that that will save it from the abuse. I tend to press harder on the buttons or downright bang on them when the computer becomes unresponsive or starts doing something I don't want it to do.

Optical or laser? Laser, right? Because most surfaces short of flat black work, right?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have been using a razer copperhead since 2004 and even though I don't game anymore all other mice fail miserably by comparison. I really hard shell ought to protect it well I think. And if you are lugging all this gear around anyways, why not get a cheap mouse pad to throw in the bag? Then laser or not doesn't matter. Will also keep the skates from getting rough. They don't make the copperhead anymore but I would assume any gamer mouse would take more abuse than a regular mouse. Probably not but I think gamers use it a lot more than non gamers do.

I have been using a razer copperhead since 2004 and even though I don't game anymore all other mice fail miserably by comparison. I really hard shell ought to protect it well I think. And if you are lugging all this gear around anyways, why not get a cheap mouse pad to throw in the bag? Then laser or not doesn't matter. Will also keep the skates from getting rough. They don't make the copperhead anymore but I would assume any gamer mouse would take more abuse than a regular mouse. Probably not but I think gamers use it a lot more than non gamers do.

Seriously? Come on, Razer mice are some of the most unreliable ones you can buy. They're nice when they work, but I've measured their typical lifespan to be in months, not years.

I no longer feel comfortable traveling with my Logitech Trackman, as that is discontinued and sells for > US$100 on Amazon, much less eBay. And I don't seen an equivalent, although I'll be getting the Logitech wireless thingy to try.

Not really related to your question, but could you provide more specifics on which trakckman you have, and which trackball you are getting?

Im a long-time-fan of trackballs, and am thinking about a newer one.

What I have now.

trackman_wheel_optical_trackball_small.jpg

Haven't had any issues with my mouse. I guess I got lucky. Their quality might have declined over time but I don't know anything about that as I'm still using the same mouse. Used the tarantula keyboard for a good 6 years also before I sold my desktop.

Seriously? Come on, Razer mice are some of the most unreliable ones you can buy. They're nice when they work, but I've measured their typical lifespan to be in months, not years.

Thanks, guys, G5 it is.

Ari -- yup, that's the one I have, and that's the one that's been discontinued, and NOS ones sell for over US$100. I have about 5 of them, with varying stages of deterioration. Mostly the buttons, as I am hard on them. I'd love to be able to just fix them, and am saving them on the hopefully probability that that is doable. I suspect it's just a contact switch inside that got bent to the point of no contact or broke off.

This appears to be the closest thing they will continue to have. I gotta have that form factor -- I've tried about a brazillion different trackballs, and mostly they like to do the top palm-rolly thing. I much prefer to use my thumb, hence this form factor is a favorite of mine. Microsoft used to have one too, that would have been adequately, were it still available.

Ari -- yup, that's the one I have, and that's the one that's been discontinued, and NOS ones sell for over US$100. I have about 5 of them, with varying stages of deterioration. Mostly the buttons, as I am hard on them. I'd love to be able to just fix them, and am saving them on the hopefully probability that that is doable. I suspect it's just a contact switch inside that got bent to the point of no contact or broke off.

The wheel on mine crapped out earlier this year. It was not too hard to take it apart and clean. I would have cried if it was totally busted.

Im interested to know what you think about the wireless versions if you get or have one.

I have three. Two are logitechs and they are OK. The one I really like is a Microsoft Notebook presenter 8000 mouse. Has worked flawlessly since I bought it (at least 3 years) and works with every PC and Mac I have tried it with. Not sure if it is still available but their current notebook Bluetooth model looks like an updated model.

Edited by morphsci

I've still got two Trackmans (Trackmen?) that I use. My mother has that wireless model Dusty linked to and while it's close, it's not quite the same as Trackman when it comes to how it feel in your hand (button placement, trackball feel, etc.). While I still preferred Trackman, the wireless model wasn't bad, though YMMV. I use Kensington Expert Mouse as my main trackball, though that thing not something I'd carry around with my laptop.

Is now the right time to comment on how frustrated I am that no brick&mortar store has a decent selection of trackballs. At most 2, and usually with no balls. FUUUUU.
Agreed. My Microcenter does indeed have about 5 different varieties, but they are the isolated exception, and none out to try. But they're charging $10 more for the Logitech one, so I'm tempted to buy it online...hence why they don't have them in b&m stores.