HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Team Florida, I am trying to get my tickets.  Are you guys heading out Sunday afternoon for home or should I book to head out Monday from Orlando?  It looks like it is over at 1:00 so I might try to head to Orlando Sunday afternoon for my flight.

Not a setback seatpost...

Distance to the pedals is too short. Right now, I'm not even holding onto the handlebars much because of my shoulder. Also I have long legs and a short torso for my height.

Measure the diameter of your current seatpost and let me know, I might have an alloy cannondale seatpost for you...

just did my first road ride locally (solo) following a 33 mile bike club route and it was humbling. i was dead after ~22 miles and the hills just kept on coming when i was hoping i was on the downhill side. 

http://www.strava.com/activities/87392462

cadence wasnt working, i just put on a new sensor (put other one on my mtb last week) and i guess i didnt set it up.

next time i need to be drafting Jeff. also its too damn hot.

Edited by justin

thats probably the cheater elevation though. i got somewhat close to Skyline, that would have been interesting..

one of them was a Cat 4 climb, looks like i stopped twice on it to refuel and check the map

unlike Chris's route this seems heavily bike traveled and im almost dead last on every climb. Though i wouldnt be surprised if the top 100 people just cherry pick the climbs and go in fresh

Team Florida, I am trying to get my tickets.  Are you guys heading out Sunday afternoon for home or should I book to head out Monday from Orlando?  It looks like it is over at 1:00 so I might try to head to Orlando Sunday afternoon for my flight.

Sunday afternoon, though I can leave late.

Not a setback seatpost...

Measure the diameter of your current seatpost and let me know, I might have an alloy cannondale seatpost for you...

31.6/270 is what I have right now

No idea why you would want a setback post if your short torso is not the problem.  Seems like it would only make that a problem.

Yeah, I suppose you may be right.   This was my reasoning:  This is a mountain bike so you are sitting much more upright than a road bike.  I figured that using a setback post would make the geometry a little more like a road bike and more like the spinning bike that I am used to using at the gym.  Since I am just using this for exercise right now, I'd rather have more of the geometry of a road bike/spinning bike.  In particular, when my pedal is at the highest point, I feel that the angle on my leg is too acute for my comfort.   Maybe it is a dumb idea and I should just get a road bike and put it on the trainer. 

Drat, mine are 27.2.

You can find oem brand seatposts for cheap on ebay, as sellers dump take-offs or people upgrade their stock seatposts.

Here's a 31.6mm x 325mm cannondale alloy seatpost for $16.25 + ~$9 shipping

I think you should aim to get a road bike for the trainer though, you don't have to pay all that much if you look around. Especially so if you get used.

Thanks for the ebay tip Ben. 

This time of year seems to be a good time for bike sales.  There is an LBS that is popular here/not too far and has a big sale in the month of October.  I don't know many of the brands they sell there though.  

http://www.danielboonecycles.com/

There is another LBS about 1/4 mile from my house that has more standard bikes: Giant/Scott/Felt. http://bicycleworldofhouston.com/

I suppose I will have to get a woman's bike (5'2" and shortish torso plus low hip flexibility because of my hip surgery).  Any good bikes/brands to start looking at?

I wouldn't want to get something used because I don't know what size/geometry I would need and would like to get it fitted.  

Edited by shellylh