HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Still trying to figure out which routes will still be available.  I had heard Rock Creek Park might be closed but I am not sure if that is to cars, bikes or both. 

I was planning on staying at a Marriott and using points.  There was one in the area I believe.

At least in Maryland, Rock Creek Parkway is open to traffic. I commuted that way today. Rock Creek Trail is likely closed by now since there has been reports that the other park trails in DC/MD are closed. (As of this early morning it was open as I saw people jogging on it.)

I don't know what the situation on Rock Creek PKWY within DC-limits on the weekend would be. But my guess is that it is going to be open to traffic as if it were a regular weekday. On weekends/holidays Park Police closes most of the areas to traffic, but because of the Shutdown this will probably not happen. I have done the usual loop in on a regular weekday and it is not that bad. Weekend traffic would be lighter anyway.

If you guys want to do the Rock Creek Loop on Sat, keep me in the loop, ha!

Got rear ended on the way home from work tonight.  Kuat absorbed all the damage as far as I can tell.  Broke the bolt in the bottom that allows you to tighten the rack down in the receiver hitch to keep it from wobbling so it is basically useless.  Took quite some time to get the whole Family to get me insurance info and everything as they wanted to pay for the rack instead of filing a claim.

i-jWKckMq-XL.jpg

Nope no bikes.  Hopefully it is just a new Kuat and no frame damage.  The Kuat is amazing strong as it is still perfect after a 15-20MPH impact.  Unfortunately I have no way to transport the bike to a ride this weekend at this point nor to the fittings for both bikes that I have scheduled for tomorrow.

Edited by VPI

Glad you did have bikes on the rack, Jeff.  Egad!

Vicki, JP and Raffy will probably do something like 2.5k miles over the course of the weekend.  I think Mike, Justin and I will do normal rides, 40-60 miles.

We are having a training ride this weekend, Saturday probably.

I'm cutting way back on my riding these days, and opting for more time to do other things.  I'd like to do the metics, but I think a full century is out this time. 

Well, the government is sending me home so I'm going to hit the MTB trails on my way there and deal with some of the stress of the government shutdown.  It's epic end of summer weather outside right now so for the next few days I'm going to enjoy it. 

Well, at lease there's one upside to this whole mess.

Did you just ride over with all your gear for the day or drive with the bike on a rack?  I will only have a rental so no bike rack.

Jeff, you can keep your bike in my room if you want.  

Nope no bikes.  Hopefully it is just a new Kuat and no frame damage.  The Kuat is amazing strong as it is still perfect after a 15-20MPH impact.  Unfortunately I have no way to transport the bike to a ride this weekend at this point nor to the fittings for both bikes that I have scheduled for tomorrow.

I can bring my saris rack for the saturday ride. It'll hold up to three bikes, but won't really help for your fittings though.

Picked up my bike from the lbs today:

mQo6YMOl.jpg

VkZXwkZl.jpg

Edited by Nebby

Looking good.  Will it help you ride up a hill at speed?

Is your Cannondale blue instead of gold like Justins?

Hell no it's not going to help my slow ass, only I can help myself :) At least it'll look really nice when everyone passes me ;)

Yeah, the evo is blue instead of the caad10's gold. they switched the evo to gold and the caad10 to green in the 2014 model.

Edited by Nebby

The bike shop near me was having a shutdown sale too. 10% off of everything for everyone except senators, representatives and the president.

Took a ride down there and picked up a few things: http://www.strava.com/activities/86445705 There was one intersection where they were redoing the concrete curb and we had to stop and carry our bikes over the trench they had dug.