HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I guess you are not riding today Nate because of the foot?

It was a great ride and Chris showed me why I am having such trouble with the saddle so I think I might be able to make for a more comfortable ride.  Got over 17 miles today and only almost t-boned an asian girl and almost fell over at a stop light when a car didn't give me enough room to pass.  Not a bad ride at all.

I did something to my big toe/ball of my foot.  Not sure what, but it's been moderately painful for the last three days.  It felt better today but I decided to take it easy on top of coming down with at least half the cold that Lily and Andrew had last week.  I'm going to skip the commute tomorrow as well and hopefully feel better Tuesday.

I was hoping to do my mini commute this week but WMATA has not gotten back to me about my rented locker.  They ask you to e-mail them your contact info but you never get any response.  Maybe they are surprised someone is actually willing to pay them for a locker when you can park at a rack for free.

I have a question for the knowledgeable bike people here.  I ordered the FSA K-Light BBRight compact crankset for my Cervelo R5.  I stopped by today to see if the parts were in and what they had was the K-Light EVO 386 crankset and a story from the service manager telling me that they needed to order the spacer to make it work on the bike but that is the way FSA does it now.  I called BS as the BBRight is specific and only works with a BBRight crankset not another random crankset with a spacer installed.

If I knew more about the BBRight technology I would probably no more about whether this is a bad idea but it seems to be they ordered the wrong part and are just hoping to patch it with spacers and I will no longer have the BBRight function, whatever that is and maybe a weaker crankset since it is not fit to the bike.  Should I tell them to start over or am I misunderstanding all of this?

Also got the Bailey Bike Works bag.  Really nice.  I could have done without the yellow raincoat  inside flap but otherwise pretty happy.

i-chZ83nm-X2.jpg

From

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/Features/content/67/5123/The-Bottom-Bracket-Breakdown.html

THE TWO NEW “STANDARDS”
Enter BBright and BB386EVO for 2011. Each of these new “standards” integrate a 30mm spindle with bottom bracket shell widths of 79mm (11mm wider than the BB30) and 86mm, respectively. BBright was introduced by Cervelo and is one of the most intriguing designs since it uses an asymmetric bottom bracket shell. The 11mm of extra shell width is all on the non-drive side of the frame, which accomplished their goal of adding surface area in order to use larger frame tubes without affecting the chain line.

The folks at FSA, BH Bikes and Wilier Triestina liked elements of the BBright design, but felt a symmetric 86mm shell was the best choice for allowing the greatest compatibility, and thus co-developed the BB386EVO, which was launched this past April. The BB386EVO open standard seems like the design that has the most potential to unseat the BB30 as the latest “standard” due to its ability to work with most of the cranks currently on the market.

The spacer would work but I would want the exact parts I ordered.

Nice bag Jeff. The yellow inside is to make it easier to find stuff I the bag and it works.

Unfortunately the yellow is just on the flap, the bag interior is all black.

Been watching the strap training video trying to figure out how to wear this thing.  Interesting people at Bailey.

Edited by VPI

Jeff that does not seem right. Sounds like the shop screwed up.

That is what I am thinking.  It still seems like it would be harder for them to get the perfect spacer to allow for proper chain alignment than it would to order the right part.

Jeff I would ask them to get you the right one. I use adapters on some frames I have and they are fine but it will be heavier than the actual bbright crank.

This. They screwed up your order and you shouldn't have to settle for a BB386 crank and adapters.

Looks like the commute might not be happening.  The transit authority is telling me they have no lockers available.  I have never seen a single person park a bike in the 30+ lockers but I guess they were all rented for someone to have the opportunity to ride their bike at some point.