HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Didn't quite make 17 miles today, did around 14. Lots of fun, rolling hills. We took it a bit easier than I had expected, but had a great hour riding with a buddy, catching up on some stories, and ended the night with some Brats that were ready for us when we rolled in.

Oh, also was given a never-worn Pearl Izumi jersey, which was a nice surprise.

We've talked, checked the route, and after the ride today, my buddy thinks I'll be able to do the 35 miler at the Tour de Cure. He knows the road and doesn't think it'll pose a problem.

**BRENT**

Dang, Parris!

Brent, glad you're getting in some miles. How's your back with all this?

Mike and John, I can't ride with you on Saturday. I really have to get that hitch put on my Saturn, especially since I've already paid for it, and they can't divot next Saturday. I'll be getting a short ride in while waiting the hour and a half for UHaul to hopefully get their act together this time. Is Sunday a possibility?

Hey V. The back hurts the first couple of miles, and towards the end of climbs, but flat or lightly rolling? Feels great.

I need to work on my fit as well. Finally have seat height good, but have a set back seatpost. I kinda want to get a straight post and think I will be good. I could scoot the seat up some, but having the post grab the rear of the rails isn't ideal, IMO.

My buddy thinks my top tube/stem is a little short, but admits he isn't an expert on it, and he likes to be really stretched out. As inflexible as I am now, I think it's OK. Time to make friends with the fit guys around town.

**BRENT**

That says that you made the right decision. I myself was itching for a new frame but I quickly realized that my position has changed so much in less than a year that I'm gonna try to discipline myself and just focus on getting into better shape and riding the wheels off my current bike first. That'll free up more funds for better riding gear such as bibs, jerseys, supplements, etc.

In the 3+ yr since my accident my position has changed a great deal as well. Starting with a brand new Specialized Roubaix, it took a little over a year before the head tube became too long. It took less time actually, but I thought it best to be conservative in moving to a more aggressive position. 

Got the first MTB ride of the year in. Tons of fun, definitely need to get back in tune with the bike and work on bike handling but I was pleasantly surprised with my perceived level of fitness.

I, on the other hand, was not surprised by my complete lack of fitness. Nate's patience for my frequent stops was much appreciated. On the other hand, the new bike performed amazingly well. I came away very impressed. Well, right up to the last climb to the parking lot when my chain broke. Regardless, it was very, very good to get out!

The local communities really went all out for Ride your Bike to Work Day.  I came home early and went for a ride.  Most of the major stops were staffed with volunteers giving out fruit, water, gatorade and coffee.  The W&OD Trail was pretty packed with people that had ridden into work.  Stop lights had back-ups of 20-30 bikes as we waited to cross.

For some reason I was useless on the bike today.  I blasted through the first half of the ride but was dead the whole way back.  One of my worst rides ever for some reason.

^ Happens.

Very cool about the local communities and Ride your Bike to Work Day.  It was Try Not to Get Killed Day here.  I went for an early morning short ride.  I don't get spooked easy, but drivers were definitely not looking/caring/whatever this morning.  I had on two front lights (bike and helmet) and two rear, and was still invisible.  Went home after six miles.  

Got 2 commutes in last week, did 20 miles another night, and went out for a short one last night which was cut short when it started pouring rain, but managed 60+ miles this week. Won't ride today.

On my Monday commute home, I sensed something amiss with my backpack and reached back to find it had come open. Stopped and packed it back up. Further along I started thinking about my glasses/lens case. Sure enough when I got home, it was missing. Went back (car) along my route and found it, fortunately on a sidewalk instead of in a road. Lesson: don't leave the zippers together at the top, but at the bottom on one side :palm:.

The commute route is kind of interesting. The big problem here are some railroad tracks that bisect N to S that I need to get across. Only major roads cross them (these are the tracks used for Metra, etc.) and those roads have little to no provision for riding on or next to them. I finally realized I could cut thru the Rt. 59 train station and use the tunnel under the tracks. Depending on time, this tunnel may have quite a few commuters walking thru it, so I usually have to walk the bike. Most of the drivers have been courteous so far.

That sucks.  Aren't there a dozen different U-Haul places around there?  My U-Haul shop was great and I was in and out in 30 minutes.

And they screwed up again by not having the hitch at 3PM ("the store is late"), though I specifically asked and was promised at 8AM.  I  was so stunned by the incompetency, I couldn't even be angry.  So.....two weeks from now, I'll hopefully get the hitch I've already paid for, but the manager did promise me they wouldn't charge me labor, and that's more than half the cost of the whole thing.  Really unbelievable!  

There are lots of UHauls around, but this is the only one near me that installs hitches.....though this one probably shouldn't since they can't get their act together.  

Did a hard 35 with John this morning. Vicki, not riding with you guys tomorrow. I need to get a couple 90 mile weeks. Lost a lot over the last couple of months.

Booooo!  I don't think I've even since you since late October/early November.