HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

If you're headed over to Montreal, you need to get your ass to Bromont for some serious downhill riding.  It's less than hour east of Montreal and has the best developed DH trail system in Canada outside of BC.  They used to host world cup DH races there until about 4 years ago when the UCI got pissy and reshuffled the venues.

Really nice day for a ride here.  The Mt. Vernon trail was not too overcrowded and the weather is excellent.  I do wish they had a better surface as the cracks from roots can make for a pretty hairy ride at speed.  On the way back I hit one and just about lost my grip on the handlebars.  The constant transitioning from shade to sun makes it hard to spot them sometimes.

i-pKqB84C-X2.jpg

Nice, Jeff!

Glad your hand is healing, Ian.

I got in 42 miles this morning.  The goal was 50, but I dawdled this morning while waiting for my two potential riding partners to text me back.  Since both wimped out (yes, JOHN), I ended up having a glorious ride on my own.  Mike's right that the winds were a bit nasty, but not too bad, except the occasional bad gust coming off the ocean when I was in Palm Beach.  While being blown about, I was actually getting spritzed by ocean water, despite the water being 50 to 100 yards away, depending on where I was, which was a new experience for me. Leaves were also attacking, flying off the trees and smacking my face in one section, which I've also never had before.  That kinda freaked me out.  All and all, I felt great.  I could have done more, but had physical therapy at 11AM, so rode there and back, with a little lunch stop at Planet Juice on my way home.   I'm really happy on how great I'm feeling on the bike since only a few weeks ago, I didn't think I could ride much anymore.  I'm going for 60 tomorrow, just to see.  I've got a metric century charity ride in two weeks, so I'd like to test things out now before I embarrass myself.  My new thing is to ride the Gunnar on Saturdays then switch to the Calfee on Sundays.  Between the weight difference and the Enves on the Calfee, I pick up a couple mphs, and feel impressive, however false.

Mike, are you on your road bike at all anymore?  Is Gail riding?  I think it's time we all plan a little bike outing.  

• Like 1

Maybe Nate should come down to the NoVa Head-fi meet weekend.  How many riders are we going to have in town that weekend? Justin, Mike, Ben, Juan, Chris.

I no longer have spare mountain bikes but I could outfit a few people with 56 road bikes for a Team HC Ride.

I rode up into Alexandria and then turned back. I actually parked at Belle Harbor Marina. It was not a long ride, just over 18 miles. I intended to ride through Alexandria and into DC but did not know where to go when I got there and cars were everywhere so I decided not to wander the streets.

Are you commuting all the way up to your work. That seems like a long ride.

Edited by VPI

Jeff, I'm going to start the negotiation with Gail for some time off that weekend so we can ride.  I can probably squeeze onto a 56 with the saddle up and a bit more drop than I am used to.  I will also check into the possibility of renting an mtb.

Vicki, I was riding E to W so the wind had me down to 14 mph and not being on the bike much in the last month, just wiped me out.  Gail is just getting back to biking but after her back issues so she is not ready. Me on the other hand, need to get some miles in.  When is the Kirk arriving?  

DH mtb'ing in Montreal could work.  I haven't done any DH'ing in many years but it was a blast.

Jeff, it is mostly for riding at lunch time from work. The riding around there is awesome. I doubt there will be much weekend riding for a long while so I am trying to get out once a week during lunch.

Jeff it is pretty easy to make it through but you do hit 4 or so blocks of traffic.

Edited by Dreadhead

I might be able to get down to cville but I have to check on a 3 o'clock Tee time I have at 3 on Sunday. Not sure if it is still happening or not.

Ian I am looking forward to see the first GoPro video you guys shoot this season. You seem to be more interesting riders than Ginger Avenger and Biscuit Boy.

if you can there are some trails about 20 minutes north of cville that will take some time off the trip

Vicki, I was riding E to W so the wind had me down to 14 mph and not being on the bike much in the last month, just wiped me out.  Gail is just getting back to biking but after her back issues so she is not ready. Me on the other hand, need to get some miles in.  When is the Kirk arriving?  

I was getting the crosswinds, but you had it worse.  It's supposed to as windy or more tomorrow.  I'm getting out early in hopes of getting less vs. more.

I really don't yet know about when the Kirk will arrive.  I haven't yet heard from Joe Bell and don't know how long that wait will be.  I'm ballparking anywhere from a month to three months, with two most likely.  

Let's figure something out re riding.  I don't even think I've seen you in months.  Maybe John will get his ass out of bed if you say you'll show up.  

I think I am going to be able to get away. What kind of trails do you have in mind? I am looking for something a bit easy as the first run of the season.

they are pretty easy.  it's a 3.5 mile oval loop that you can run either direction, with several connecting trails that cut across.  there is also an "advanced" mountain bike trail attached but i'm not quite sure what's advanced about it other than hikers and horses are not allowed on it.

http://albemarle.org/department.asp?department=parks&relpage=12589

info & map here

I was getting the crosswinds, but you had it worse.  It's supposed to as windy or more tomorrow.  I'm getting out early in hopes of getting less vs. more.

I really don't yet know about when the Kirk will arrive.  I haven't yet heard from Joe Bell and don't know how long that wait will be.  I'm ballparking anywhere from a month to three months, with two most likely.  

Let's figure something out re riding.  I don't even think I've seen you in months.  Maybe John will get his ass out of bed if you say you'll show up.  

I'm out for tomorrow.  Gail and I are either kayaking or hiking tomorrow.