Needing some custom cables built

swt61

Hey guys, I'm building a desktop system in a custom rack, more on that later, but I need a few cables that I can't find commercially.

First, I need a 2' cable with 4 right angle banana plugs on one end, and a rear panel mounted female 4 pin XLR connector on the other. It needs to be somewhat flexible, as it will bend 90 degrees in the middle of the cable. It would be nice if each banana could be marked in some way, as to L+, L-, R+, R- (for K1000 pinout).

Next, I need two very short pairs of analog RCA interconnects. They need to be 6" ea. and of good quality wire and connectors.

Last, I need a 6" 75 ohm RCA digital interconnect.

I'll of coarse pay well, but don't need any overkill wire (Nordost), or connectors (Furutech).

If someone knows of a commercial cable maker that will make these, I'm of coarse open to that too.

Steve,

Don't you already own a K1K to speaker connection adapter? At least I think you bought one from me... also, not sure that you really want a panel mounted connector used in a cable, there are certainly female cable-mount XLRs that should work, unless you think it adds too much bulk somehow. But with 2' of cable length I can't see that as the justification.

You want a more flexible version of this w/ RA connectors, right?

107225685.jpg

I can probably help with some of this stuff as long as you don't need it tomorrow save for the digital IC. But I might have a friend who can help with that. I'll shoot him a message.

I do have that cable, and am using it now. Love it! However, what I need for this new desktop system is a cable that will run from the two amps at the top of the stack (the right angle banana plugs will keep the cable run neater) to the bottom of the stack, then fold under the components to a front panel I'm making on the custom rack I'm building (components are the Parasound Z series, rack mount), thus the female rear panel mount XLR.

The interconnects should be separate right and left cables, instead of encased or braided together, since they'll be feeding two separate mono amps.

I'm not in a hurry. And appreciate your help Nate!

PM me with any further questions, and I can send parts/labor cash at any time.

Thanks Nate!

No real aesthetic concerns. They will be visible from the back and sides (the wooden rack will be mostly open), but cables is cables. Anything you would build would look great Nate. I can't think of a need for shielding. The rack will sit on my desk. The only thing nearby will be my laptop.

This will primarily be used to drive my K1000, though on occasion it might be asked to drive some of my monitors.

For clarification, the system will include from bottom to top...

Parasound Zcd

Parasound Zdac

Parasound Ztuner

Parasound Zpre2

Parasound Zamp v.3

Parasound Zamp v.3

The Cambridge Audio iD100/Welborne Labs linear PS and my 160gb iPod Classic will be close by and connected to the DAC via Toslink.

Edited by swt61

I've double checked everything and 6" is actually a bit long, but I'd rather error on the long side. I should point out that I mean 6" of visible wire between the connectors, and not 6" total length. If the wire is not real flexible, let's go 8" in between connectors. I just don't want a lot of extra cable making things look unruly in the back.

The components are 1.75" tall and I'll need an interconnect between the Zdac and Zpre (1 component in between), An interconnect between the Ztuner and Zpre (no components in between), and an interconnect between the Zamps and Zpre (1 component in between, and no component in between). The digital cable is between the Zcd and Zdac (no component in between).

Still waiting on Zdac, Zpre and Ztuner, so I can't take a picture just yet. They are supposed to ship just any day now.

I do have the stuff to do a RG59 with compression connectors. RCA or BNC.

That would be great if you have the time Naaman!

The 6" digital cable will need to be RCA, as the Zdac has no BNC input. Again, if the cable is a bit on the stiff side, let's make it 8" inbetween connectors.

Edited by swt61

I checked with BJC Grahame and found the same thing. I do wonder if you emailed them if they'd agree to make something shorter without the huge strain relief boots on them?

[edit] The schitt cables look good to me. At $20 it'd be worth taking a flier on a pair to see if they'd work. I'd be hard pressed to order 4 half-decent RCAs for that (including shipping).

Just looked up the Schitt cables. I didn't know they made cables. Those look great, and the price is awesome too. Just ordered 3 pair. So now it's just the K1000 cable and digital cable. Nate, I sent you an update on the K1000 adapter cable via PM.

So the Schiit cables arrived today. They are Straight Wire cables, probably made in shorter length for Schiit. Very good quality, and guess what? 6" between connectors. :) They fit perfectly. For $20.00 per pair I can definitely recommend these.

Thanks Grahame and Nate!

So the Schiit cables arrived today. They are Straight Wire cables, probably made in shorter length for Schiit. Very good quality, and guess what? 6" between connectors. smile.png They fit perfectly. For $20.00 per pair I can definitely recommend these.

Thanks Grahame and Nate!

I'm using two pairs of these that I'm happy with. They're definitely good to use with gear that stacks neatly with the RCA jacks close together, as long as you aren't going for the ceiling high stack where everything connected looks like an old time switchboard in the back.