Tour de France 2013

Voltron

The organizers permitted food within the normal 10km (for a mtn. stage) so that was legal. I think it is 20km on flat stages also.

I was laughing my ass off over another forum post on the mtn. stage after Froome had taken the yellow jersey, but got isolated with no teammates within a mile or more of him:

"All that said, this year's TDF has been boring partly because no team has the stones to really challenge Froome. They isolated him in the mountains, and rather than putting in endless crushing attacks, Valverde/Contador/Evans/Schleck decided to take him for a no-drop group ride. I think the story of 2013 is "Froome benefits from stupid race strategy" rather than "Froome dominates opponents"."

Yeah, it is bugging me too.  If the musette was legal the other day, then I guess I am a little less upset about one gel at the end of that crazy double d'Huez day.  Also, I am pretty sure Porte could have dragged him the last few kilometers even if he really bonked.  Plus, Contador was minutes behind yesterday and is over 5 minutes down in total.  Still, I'd like it to be completely clean and fair for a fucking change.

I enjoyed the 100th.  While I don't necessarily like the Sky Team I do like Chris Froome and was amazed by his and everyone's talents.  It is amazing what these guys can do.

The light show for the award ceremony was actually entertaining.

I didn't watch the final stage as the timing was challenging and I didn't really care. I caught a replay of sprint and that's about it.

I think Froome is probably clean (I actually buy his parasite explaination) and I think he's a worthy winner but I just don't really like him. I'm not sure why as he really has the whole package and is even agressive/explosive but I just don't. I may come around. I think next years tour with a more on form Contador, a faster in TT Quintana and Froome with a couple others thrown in the mix is going to be fun to watch.

On the sprinting side I think Cavendish will figure things out again and wasn't on top form this year (he was sick for a significant portion of the tour). 

I'm left pretty nonplussed in the end.  I thought the repeated and blatant cheating by SKY with little to no real penalty was seriously disappointing.  Maybe that stuff happens all the time but I don't remember the same team doing it so much in the last few years when I've been watching.  Would it have made the difference?  I can't say for sure but Froome could have lost significant time to Quintana on that climb based on what I was seeing and the last few stages would have been pretty epic if there had only been a minute or two separating them. 

But I'm also with Chris on not really understanding why I don't like Froome, but I don't.  Maybe it's that I assume that he's cheating at this point given what others have said about the level he was at pre-SKY compared to now.  I know that there are freak athletes out there that are legit and would really like it if the sport wasn't as dirty as it has been.  Le sigh.

I enjoyed the Tour this year.  I don't know enough about Froome to like or dislike him.  I also have no idea whether the cheating is something that is common or not of the effect it had on the race.  The Mount Ventoux stage was fun to watch, as was the Alp d'Huez.  Quintana will be fun to watch in the future.  I also enjoyed seeing a Talansky, from Miami do so well.

I am most happy about the bet I won with raffy.

I liked the race quite a bit this year and other than a few days while on the brew tour I watched it all, typically in the long format.  I really like Froome last year when he was clearly supporting Wiggins even though he often had to hold back so as not to crack his own leader.  I liked him this year, although a little less for some intangible reason and also for the tangible reason of bending and breaking the rules on occasion.  I don't think it really happened that often and I am certain it wouldn't have made a substantial difference.  As to doping allegations, I think they just need to do their tests and try to keep it clean and hope for the best.  I think this was the most drug-free Tour in many years regardless.

Quintana was a highlight in many respects, and if he had been more strategic in the Pyrenees he could have accomplished even more.  The 19th and 20th stages were pure win, and although I was bummed TeJay Van Garderen couldn't hold on I was happy a Frenchman won a stage in the 100th Tour.  The 20th was epic and I hate Contador so I was thrilled when Quintana and Rodriguez knocked him all the way off the podium.  Quintana winning the stage and taking the polka dot jersey and white jersey were really amazing and so well executed after his earlier blunders.

Cavendish had a rough Tour all around but he still won two stages and will be back for more next year.  Kittel looked like a lucky winner after the crash on stage 1 but he proved he is the real deal by winning a couple more and flat out beating Cavendish yesterday. 

101 will be a good year.

• Like 1

Cavendish had a rough Tour all around but he still won two stages and will be back for more next year.  Kittel looked like a lucky winner after the crash on stage 1 but he proved he is the real deal by winning a couple more and flat out beating Cavendish yesterday. 

Kittel's win over Cav yesterday gave me a double or nothing win over raffy.  I can't wait to pick the two semi-whale beers from his cellar. :)  Sorry, raffy, can't stop rubbing it in.