The key is to buy expensive headphones before you're married! (lots of HP-2 pics

deepak

Because it's alright for her to buy a $600 pair of shoes

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

cable.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Many thanks to Ken (Toonie).

I've only listened to one album so far: Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (prog with loud/soft songs)

I really know and love this album, and right now I'm hearing a clarity I have not heard in any other Grado. Only the K1000.

But I'm also hearing a certain weight to the electric guitar that I have never heard on this album. And Steven Wilson sounds clear as day.

Also this is the hardest hitting bass I have experienced (save for the PS-1), maybe it's because I'm using flats, but even the HF-1 doesn't hit this hard

Very impressive! :dance:O0:P

the idea behind giving them some time is for the poor, wretched people who don't fall in love with them immediately ;) personally, i prefer the HP-2 to the HP-1. everything is exactly the same, but the HP-2s don't have the extra points of failure (the polarity switches).

Yeah I know most people say the HP-2 sounds better. It would just be cool to have since they're getting more and more expensive.

I mean this is just crazy, so much clarity yet they sound incredibly fun at the same time. Also the craftsmanship is really nice, once you push the cups to a certain position they don't move around unlike the plasic/wood counterparts.

Few questions:

I read at HF that the original "stock" pads for the RS-1 were flats. Is this true? What were the stock pads on the HP-1000s and the PS-1? When was the bowl pad introduced, or has it always been available?

I'm making myself listen to a few tracks on the RS-1 with the flats tonight, I still have mixed feelings about it. Listening to Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" SACD right now, and while the bass line sounds smoother 'n shit with the flats, I miss the tiny amount of soundstage the bowls provide.

RS-1 originally flats.

PS-1 always came with bowls.

HP-1000 always came with flats.

But some people believe that Grado changed the sound of the RS-1 when they moved from flats to bowls so you may not get the same results.

My HP-2 came with bowls, flats and HD414 yellow pads. I tried the bowls on them and it sounded pretty bad compared to the flats. Not un-listenable bad, but obvious that they were designed with flats.

Few questions:

I read at HF that the original "stock" pads for the RS-1 were flats. Is this true? What were the stock pads on the HP-1000s and the PS-1? When was the bowl pad introduced, or has it always been available?

I'm making myself listen to a few tracks on the RS-1 with the flats tonight, I still have mixed feelings about it. Listening to Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" SACD right now, and while the bass line sounds smoother 'n shit with the flats, I miss the tiny amount of soundstage the bowls provide.

My set of RS-1's came with flats. Judging by the fact they were slightly deteriorating and that the original seller had informed me he was the original owner and never changed them is enough for me to say that the early 90's RS-1's with brown headband all came and were designed with flats in mind. The bowl thing came into being as a response from John with reviews of the RS-1 being muddy with no soundstage.

HP-1000's are definitely flats, I have talked to Joe about this and he is very adamant about it.

PS-1s are bowl pads, the sonic tuning with them is perfectly balanced, the flats make the bass too overbearing.

Thanks jpak and rec for your responses. If someone would humor me a tad longer this evening?

It is my understanding their are 3 versions of the HP-1000, referred to as the HP-1, 2, and 3, respectively. Judging by reks comments in this thread, the difference between the HP-1 and 2 is that the HP-1 has those polarity switches (which I think is weird. my BIC Acoustech sub has one of those, and I think thats weird too). Doing some searches over at HF, I read that it is essentially impossible to tell the difference between the HP-2 and HP-3, but this is probably a non-issue because so few HP-3s were made.

Also, was the HP-3 essentially an HP-2 on which the drivers were not matched as well, so JG decided to sell them cheaper?

BTW, congrats jpak on the get! Apologies for asking these questions in your thread. :)

HP-1 = polarity switches. Supposed to be useful in a recording environment where the polarity might be switched on the recording equipment. Most people say they can't tell the difference between +, - or +/- . Also the HP-1 is supposed to be harder to drive (requiring more current) supposedly due to the polarity switches. And most people (from what I read) say the HP-1 doesn't extend as high as the HP-2.

HP-2 = standard version most readily available.

HP-3 = drivers not matched as closely. John Grado said 85% the sound of the HP-2. But rumor has it late into production the drivers were matched just as good as the HP-2, and many labeled HP-3 were actually HP-2. IIRC if it's an HP-3 it says HP-3 in sharpie where the pads go. HP-3 was $100 cheaper than the HP-2.

I like having the HP-2, but I would an HP-1 for collection purposes. I'm really fascinated by Grados and Grado history.

Four years ago when I was roped into hifi headphones it was the Grado SR-60 that did it, so Grados are pretty special to me.

The best sounding Grados, without a doubt, IMO. Haven't heard the GS1000, but I'm skeptical it would do better than the HP2's.
It's a completely different sound. It can sound good under the right amplification (and if you hold your nose), but it's still the current Grado "house" sound. Think of it as a really refined blue cheese dressing -- will be really good to fans of blue cheese dressing, but some people hate blue cheese dressing, no matter how good it is.

It's a completely different sound. It can sound good under the right amplification (and if you hold your nose), but it's still the current Grado "house" sound. Think of it as a really refined blue cheese dressing -- will be really good to fans of blue cheese dressing, but some people hate blue cheese dressing, no matter how good it is.

I admit right now they sound a bit too neutral out of the DA10's all discrete amp. These probably will get even better with a tube/hybrid amp.

I admit right now they sound a bit too neutral out of the DA10's all discrete amp. These probably will get even better with a tube/hybrid amp.

To me the HP-2 absolute requires tubes, with solidstate it's too sterile & dry sounding, acceptable if for studio use, but no damn fun for recreational listening. Personally I'd lean towards a more tubey sounding tube setup for the HP-2, but that's just my preference.