Gas Dryers

shellylh

Our dryer is slowly dying.  

Anyone get a gas dryer that they really like or know models to avoid?  I don't need any fancy smartphone technology shit, just one that works, doesn't break for a long time (or ever, yeah right), and get really really hot*.   Unfortunately, they don't seem to publish dryer temperatures.  I also don't want something with a steam feature.   

I would prefer to have a dryer with a detachable rack for drying sweaters, shoes, etc but that is not a necessity. 

Right now I am just looking at the top rated dryer at Best Buy. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=3604863170801698822&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=categoryid%24pcmcat232900050030&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=customerrating+numberofreviewssaas&qp=soldby_facet%3DSold+By~Best+Buy&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n&seeAll=&browsedCategory=pcmcat232900050030

*This is important to me, in case I ever get bed bugs again.  I have been told that good dryers should get up to 180 degrees.  Our current dryer only get up to 150 or so (putting a meat thermometer in the middle of the clothes for a few minutes, not with the dryer running of course, when they are dry and at their hottest).

Edited by shellylh

I loved the one that Al has at Mayberry. It's a Samsung, but not sure the model. It also had a steam mode, which is great if you forget to pull your clothes out on time.

Edit: Other than the color, this one looks very similar...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-7-4-cu-ft-13-cycle-steam-electric-dryer-red/5894589.p?id=1218704687986&skuId=5894589&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5894589&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!50593846959!g!!43604823759&kpid=5894589&k_clickid=62892958-84a7-80a9-dbfb-00004d28fdec

Edited by swt61

It's not at best buy, but of you are after durability and none of the frilly (and expensive to repair) shit, look no further than Speed Queen.  We have one, and it can get blazing hot.  If our cheapie washer breaks down, I'm replacing it with a Speed Queen as well.

This is what we have:  http://www.speedqueen.com/home/en-us/products/product.aspx?id=334

Edited by roadtonowhere08

I was also going to recommend the Samsungs.  We have Bosch in SF and Samsung in Mayberry and we prefer the Sammy.  I also bought my dad a Samsung set of the same type.  While I am not sure about precise heat levels, it gets very hot.  This may or may not be the exact model, but it is in the same range:  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-7-4-cu-ft-13-cycle-ultra-large-capacity-steam-gas-dryer-neat-white/4980691.p?id=1218588862698&skuId=4980691&st=categoryid$pcmcat232900050030&cp=2&lp=4

The newer models seem to have a larger display without the extra physical buttons.  Not sure if there are other changes.  No smartphone programming on mine.  :D

• Like 1

It's not at best buy, but of you are after durability and none of the frilly (and expensive to repair) shit, look no further than Speed Queen.  We have one, and it can get blazing hot.  If our cheapie washer breaks down, I'm replacing it with a Speed Queen as well.

This is what we have:  http://www.speedqueen.com/home/en-us/products/product.aspx?id=334

We have a Speed Queen washer (replaced a POS Whirlpool), and have really liked it. When the Whirlpool gas dryer takes a dump, it will be Speed Queen. I'll live without it's IoT connection :rolleyes:

Yeah, had to shitcan that Maytag washer of ours after paying to replace the same tub bearing for the 2nd (or was it 3rd) time. Thought it was a Whirlpool, but they were Maytags. Much happier with the Speed Queen top loader, SS tub.

Yeah, had to shitcan that Maytag washer of ours after paying to replace the same tub bearing for the 2nd (or was it 3rd) time. Thought it was a Whirlpool, but they were Maytags. Much happier with the Speed Queen top loader, SS tub.

Maytags have been made by Whirlpool since about 2006.  Perhaps it was a Whirlpool in Maytag clothing ;)

Our current dryer is GE and I'm not too fond of it.  

I am learning towards a LG or Samsung right now.  I looked into Speed Queen but read a lot of mixed reviews.   Parts seem like they may difficult to come by if they break.   The Samsungs haven't been around all that long so I may go with an LG.   The Samsung Al mentioned in not available here (it is a clearance model online so is probably last year's model).  

I was against getting a dryer with a steam option but it seems like you don't need to hook up the dryer to the water supply on some of them.  It also seems difficult to find one that also has a dryer rack and steel drum without a steam option.

We ordered this one from Home Depot (stainless steel drum, dryer rack, steam, good reviews, etc).  It should be here on Monday and hopefully we can get the plumber out soon afterwards (don't trust the the Home Depot/Sears/Lowes/Best Buy delivery guys to install gas products).  Went with the LG over Samsung since I didn't want to deal with hooking up the water line if we wanted to use the steam feature.  

http://www.lg.com/us/dryers/lg-DLGX5171W-gas-dryer

416d1223-41ab-4a09-9736-3a20599ecac4_400

Hopefully all goes well (I hate dealing with this kind of stuff).

Edited by shellylh

So after paying $1000 for the dryer and getting ripped off by the plumber ($400 to install), we now have a dryer that is working ok but seems to be making a funny noise. 

The dryer is super quiet when it is not heating the air.  However, it sounds like our furnace (maybe not quite as loud) when it heats the air.  I am not sure if this is normal on the new gas dryers and if I should call LG.  Our previous dryer was so loud all the time that there is probably no way we would have heard anything.  

The vent is new (we even did the airflow check on the dryer), there is air behind and to the side of the dryer.  I hate dealing with this shit. 

We have a cheaper (and older) LG gas dryer and I don't ever remember hearing much noise from it. BTW, Home Depot delivery guys don't/can't install gas appliances, so at least you avoided the aggravation of finding that out after the fact. $400 to install; however, is beyond ripoff. I hope the plumber wasn't your regular plumber, and if it was, methinks it's time to look for a new one.

We've used 2 plumbers since we bought the house.  This was the reasonable one that we used in the past.  The other one was always completely ridiculous and that is why we didn't use them!

In TX, the delivery guys do installation I believe.  I just don't trust them. 

We've done a couple of loads and it seems to be getting quieter or maybe I was just super sensitive to the noise at the beginning.  I'll give it more time before calling LG.   It is drying perfectly as far as I can tell.   These new dryers are so much better/faster than the one we used to have (which was ancient).  Crossing my fingers. 

$400 to install a dryer?! Ripped off is an understatement. Never heard much of anything from our dryers at any stage of cycle. Sorry for the pain in the ass.

My feelings exactly. And Al's dryer is quiet all the way through. If that guy didn't quote you $400.00 before hand, I'd make a big stink. That is complete bullshit, provided he didn't have to run a new gas line out to the street.

Edited by swt61