Chromebooks in 2014

The existing laptop is a Thinkpad

Lenovo Thinkpads and other models seem solid

If she likes the Thinkpad for its Thinkpadiness, the new ones are pretty terrible. Lenovo has basically removed one thing that makes them Thinkpads with each new generation, and they have finally run out of features to remove. Apart from being Thinkpads and as far as just being laptops, they are just like everyone else in that they are kind of junky and slightly worse than an Apple.

The X220 is still a really nice machine for peanuts, will likely fit her needs, and feels like a Thinkpad.

No issues on my newish T540p but keep in mind I didn't pay for mine and that I work 90% of the time while docked in so I'm not affected much by the chicklet keyboard. And as much as I dislike the Windows user experience, I have to say that my Lenovos have been significantly more reliable since I moved to Windows 7. Not sure if this is the case with other brands (nor do I really care) but maybe it's because Lenovo publishes more reliable/compatible drivers?

Pre-Windows 7 was terrible for me though. I went through around 10 new laptops/reimages in 5 years (once I went through 2 in a less than a month) due to blue screens/OS turdiness.