GCHA?

humanflyz

Well, I got a summer internship in DC, so I am in need of a simple DAC+amp unit that does the job decently. The only one that I could think of was the GCHA, but I haven't actually heard the unit, but I read some good comments here from Reks in older threads. I will be running off its USB connection, driving RS-1s and HD650s.

Any impressions would be fine.

I owned it at one time. Pretty decent SS. As for the USB/DAC, it was a nice feature but not really anything special. Simply a nice extra to have. If you can find a good price on it, it would make a nice option at work or as part of a bedroom rig.

If a one-box DAC-amp is what you need, the Corda Opera is the class of the field, soundwise. I'd be extremely surprised if the GCHA is on a level with it. Have you read my review?: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229294

That was a great review. I would love to hear one of these. It certainly is an attractive piece.

Even better than the Stello DA220?

Well the DAC in the Opera was just as satisfying to listen to as the DA220 (compared using the source switch on the Opera). Of course the DA220 has balanced output, and a snotload of other options the Opera doesn't, and it's not a headphone amp. So it's somewhat apples to oranges. But I think they're on the same playing field if you're just comparing them as unbalanced DAC's from a coaxial input.

I enjoyed the GCHA myself with the K701. It's rather pleasant in my opinion. Rather smooth for for a solid state; detail was one of its key points. Though the imaging was strange, I found it mysteriously enticing. For $995, I wouldn't own one though. For the $650 I bought it for, definitely. I eventually decided I needed a hard hitter so I switched to the PPX3 SLAM. I tested the internal DAC extensively; it's acceptable, but not exceptional in any way. From what I've read, I would think an Opera is better. That, and I trust IronDreamer's reviews. They seem to be on the mark in comparison with my own experiences.