What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

Uhm... Wow!

Just now, Voltron said:

I thought the same at first, but think he's talking about a miter along the length of a 1/2" thick piece?

Tested the BT hearing protection options, 3M Worktunes, IsoTunes Link, IsoTunes Free and because I wanted to throw them in AirPod Pros.

Winner in every category, AirPod Pros.  Better sound canceling, comfort and dramatically better sound quality.  I guess I should have tried them before buying all these.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, VPI said:

Tested the BT hearing protection options, 3M Worktunes, IsoTunes Link, IsoTunes Free and because I wanted to throw them in AirPod Pros.

Winner in every category, AirPod Pros.  Better sound canceling, comfort and dramatically better sound quality.  I guess I should have tried them before buying all these.  

Well that saves me some time, thank you!

• Like 2

“At the direction of my legal counsel, I wrote off all purchased-for-review materials”

I like it. 

Going to try the murder machine again this morning with the sacrificial long board taped on  to make some waterfall Cherry, Zebra wood and Walnut desk accessories. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VPI said:

Very nice.

I gave up on my project as I cannot get anything remotely uniform with the Mast-R-Fence. Even with the longer board attached still hitting the outfeed fence way too often with the Clear Cut stock guides in place.

Have you tried it on the table saw yet?

6 minutes ago, VPI said:

Do not have one. The worm drive one had some serious wobbles that made it want to walk so I returned it. 

Oh that would explain the desire to smash with the router.  Could put the bevels on first then cut the parts down to size on the miter, or use the miter and clamp them in place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VPI said:

Very nice.

I gave up on my project as I cannot get anything remotely uniform with the Mast-R-Fence. Even with the longer board attached still hitting the outfeed fence way too often with the Clear Cut stock guides in place.

If you are not spending 95% of your time in the shop getting your tools set up and calibrated, they are not set up and calibrated.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

If you are not spending 95% of your time in the shop getting your tools set up and calibrated, they are not set up and calibrated.

I’ve decided to only buy tools that have a factory rep come out and verify setup and calibration. That Felder AS951 is calling to me. 

My Hammer A3 is the only tool that I have ever gotten that didn't need calibration. Well, other than the fence. I contemplated taking it partly apart in order to get it into the basement, and the people at Felder said that a) I would probably not be able to get it back together, and b) the cost for them to send someone out to do it for me would approach $2500. If it ever goes out of square, it is going to suck.

Edited by dsavitsk

I think mine is less of a calibration issue and more of a wrong tool for the job.  Tried to be cheap and buy one huge 2 1/4” chamfer bit and just use the fence and lift to get the cuts I need.  This however leaves a very wide gap between the fence parts and not having the expertise to apply pressure in the right places let it wobble on the bit periodically, causing shit to happen.

Jeff, I think you'd be well served to pick up a jobsite table saw. 

https://www.toolnut.com/sawstop-jss-120a60-jobsite-pro-table-saw-with-cart-fence.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmfmABhCHARIsACwPRABqolUNDMc0HoBLymRZAWMU6BUumCgZwQis_RXQxp2RB5Vm-7ee55IaAqYvEALw_wcB

For the type of projects you're building it's really not a tool to do without. 

34 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

My Hammer A3 is the only tool that I have ever gotten that didn't need calibration. Well, other than the fence. I contemplated taking it partly apart in order to get it into the basement, and the people at Felder said that a) I would probably not be able to get it back together, and b) the cost for them to send someone out to do it for me would approach $2500. If it ever goes out of square, it is going to suck.

How are you liking it Doug?

Edited by swt61
  • Like 1