New Tiny SP

postjack

you know what??? now i am slowly becoming radicalized by all the HF stuff. I have to ask two questions:

1. Why is it that everyone acted too chill with me at the meet, and then gets the impression that it's okay to attack me when we are no longer face to face?

2. why is it that so many people's primary concern is that bad impressions could hurt manufacturers? think about that!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know what??? now i am slowly becoming radicalized by all the HF stuff. I have to ask two questions:

1. Why is it that everyone acted too chill with me at the meet, and then gets the impression that it's okay to attack me when we are no longer face to face?

Because it's all too easy to hide behind a mouse and a keyboard.

2. why is it that so many people's primary concern is that bad impressions could hurt manufacturers? think about that!

Right? "Boo-hoo" is my answer to that. Don't make quality products? People should be warned about it. At the same time, if someone makes a great product? Praise 'em to the moon! :)

who's attacking you?

Probably because a couple of your comments (regardless of their true intent) could be read as if they were being said by a smartass. I'm guessing that when you were actually in the room with people they were better equipped to understand your true intent.

Because a lot of the people making damaging comments don't even have first hand experience with the product in question. Recently I posted in a thread were the OP asked the following question:

Is the Micro DAC on the same ball park level of $300 CD players in sound quality?

The first response was:

Never heard the MicroDAC, but i doubt it sounds as good as the $299 NAD C525BEE cd player ...

Now if you've heard the Micro and don't like it as much as your CD player feel free to post up but that response if friggen worthless and disparages a product that the poster admittedly has zero experience with. When I suggested to the moron who posted that rubbish he actually came back and said he'd think before he posted something like it in the future, I hope I actually go through to him/her.

There are probably hundreds of examples like this on Head-Fi and heck, in my early days I was guilty of posting about gear that I had no experience with but I learned quick. So I guess in the end I could care less whether or not some one likes a particular product or brand but I do care whether or not what I'm reading is an informed opinion. Otherwise it's just speculation and bullshit.

I think its something to do with reason number two and You really do come off as a dick head on the net man, I mean I am cool with you but your wording does come off as that..(feel the same prob)

your dealing with some one's lively hood, there is a way of saying it rite and saying it wrong..you say it wrong. regardless of the truth or lie or positive or negative there is just a way to say something you know? Instead of talking like you did on your apache comment you could say something "well I don't care it as much as I do the B52, but I heard it in a loud meet location and may need a second listen in a quite room like I heard Billys setup.." something like that.

the thing that is worrying me isn't the impression itself.... but the themes people are reading into what I'm writing. Plainsong seems to think I'm angry at something, but I can't figure out where she's getting it. I actually spent 45 minutes re reading everything i've written lately and I just don't see it...

the thing that is worrying me isn't the impression itself.... but the themes people are reading into what I'm writing. Plainsong seems to think I'm angry at something, but I can't figure out where she's getting it. I actually spent 45 minutes re reading everything i've written lately and I just don't see it...

i wouldn't worry too much about it. i mean, its the internet. Either we all become superb writers, masters of self-expression in our given language, or we give each other the benefit of the doubt and wait until the birth of V i D e O F o R u M z yall... thats when the ladies will be all like "wassup check me out" and i'm like "daaaaaaamn girl". then we won't have to read or discern anything anymore.

I thought your impressions (along with maybe two or three others) were some of the few worth reading.

To what posts does this discussion refer to?? Maybe I've missed the posts being referenced here, but I've not read anything from you that would have me thinking ill toward you. FWIW, anyone who's been on the net and boards like this for any length of time knows how hard it is to read tone, sarcasm, etc...into posts. Personally, I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. I gave up worrying about what others thought of me long ago. ;)

well, it does worry me.... I'm torn between apologizing and reforming my ways and defending what i wrote.... but either way, it seems as if the national meet is destroying my reputation... :(

Here's my 2?, I don't think you should have to apologize for your impressions of gear. They're just that, your impression, hard for me to tell you they're wrong since they're whatever you thought. But some of the other stuff you posted was easily read as inflammatory if not insulting.

The Headroom Wadia player: that thing ate my CD and didn't give it back. It went nuts and they had to shut it down. Now i'm out a CD.
I can't speak for anyone else but that to me reads like you're a bit upset at the CD player for eating your CD. Turns out that it was your fault (double loaded the player) so if anything you might want to issue a little mea culpa about it. Maybe you already have, I haven't been following the drama all that closely.

Seriously, 12 dollars for a hot dog? ???:o:(
This is the one that really pissed people off I think. Again, to me it reads like a complaint and more than anything else it is misleading and doesn't tell the whole story. It was $12 for an all you could eat buffet lunch. But the first time I read your comment I really thought that that hotel was charging $12 for a hotdog and thought, "Damn, that's rough!" Whether or not you liked the meet, what it stood for, or whatever the fact is that people poured a lot of time and energy into making it happen. As a result they're emotionally involved and like I said, your comment is pretty easily read as a complaint of how much stuff was costing.

So, I stand by my previous observation, some of your posts have a distinct way of reading like you're a smartass. That may not be your intent at all and if it's not then perhaps it is in your best interest to look at the way you state things. FWIW I try not to let online impressions get in the way of actually meeting and talking with someone as my first impression. But a whole bunch of people at Head-Fi didn't think too highly of me at first either, largely due to the actions of one asshole former moderator, it took more than a year for most of them to give me a second chance and some (who clearly aren't worth my time) still haven't.

To what posts does this discussion refer to?? Maybe I've missed the posts being referenced here, but I've not read anything from you that would have me thinking ill toward you. FWIW, anyone who's been on the net and boards like this for any length of time knows how hard it is to read tone, sarcasm, etc...into posts. Personally, I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. I gave up worrying about what others thought of me long ago. ;)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=238311

The conversation mostly refers to what's going on in this thread, which I'm still largely trying to figure out the point and purpose to.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=238311

The conversation mostly refers to what's going on in this thread, which I'm still largely trying to figure out the point and purpose to.

I've read that thread. Still, unless there's something I've missed somewhere, I'm just not seeing what the fuss is about. He voiced an opinion on various pieces of gear. I'm not sure why someone would be upset at what I'm reading in that thread. Guess I'm old, slow and stupid because I'm not getting where some would have a complaint here.

I've read that thread. Still, unless there's something I've missed somewhere, I'm just not seeing what the fuss is about. He voiced an opinion on various pieces of gear. I'm not sure why someone would be upset at what I'm reading in that thread. Guess I'm old, slow and stupid because I'm not getting where some would have a complaint here.

Neither am I. I'm seeing a ton of "much ado about nothing" all the way around.

Oh....... sorry Tyll!

1. Headroom's people never told me what caused the CD player to stop working, i always assumed it was the player. If you guys knew I had made that mistake, no one told me about it. Tyll!, i'm sooo sorry about that, I hope i didn't hurt your player, the sound out of that thing was my highlight from Sunday.

2. I'm also sorry about the The Hot Dog post, it had three in-meet jokes behind it and should never have been posted on the internet.

Oh....... sorry Tyll!

1. Headroom's people never told me what caused the CD player to stop working, i always assumed it was the player. If you guys knew I had made that mistake, no one told me about it. Tyll!, i'm sooo sorry about that, I hope i didn't hurt your player, the sound out of that thing was my highlight from Sunday.

2. I'm also sorry about the The Hot Dog post, it had three in-meet jokes behind it and should never have been posted on the internet.

Hey Tyll, I'll take that "damaged" player at 50% off. You game?? ;)

It's really pretty simple if you say something negative about certain (seems like almost all) products you get raked over the coals. If you don't like something you shouldn't have to pussyfoot around it or say it in a more tactful manner to avoid hurting someones feelings. Just plain stupid.

It's really pretty simple if you say something negative about certain (seems like almost all) products you get raked over the coals. If you don't like something you shouldn't have to pussyfoot around it or say it in a more tactful manner to avoid hurting someones feelings. Just plain stupid.

Exactly. If I think a product sucks, I find it stupid that I would have to worry about how it affects someone's sales or whatnot. I'm a consumer giving my view on a product. If a manufacturer takes issue with that, tough.

Well, it is not the actual impressions that people are pissed about. As I'm discovering, reviews were the tip of the iceberg. What's hard is that there were all these people annoyed at me and I didn't know it before since i stopped reading the impressions thread a long time ago. I obviously didn't mean the comments the way they came out, and I'm disturbed that people found them insulting an malicious...the problem is that no one PMed me or told me at the meet directly about them, so it might be too late to fix the perspective.

back on topic: if people disagree with me, anyone's review they are welcome to be like "sorry David, but that was just a bad impression, i thought the Woo rocked and sounded like the best amp at the meet, I had more experience than you, far more, and I think you should listen to it again." and I'm fine with that. but they came after me saying I had purposefully lied, was angry and trying to hurt people; i know I'm not!

Here's my short & sweet summary: A lot of Head-fi members are angsty belly-aching cunt rags.

If I were granodemostasa, I'd just flip'em the bird and let them whine & cry to their heart's content. Let the cry-babies wind themselves up, it's their problem, not mine.

your dealing with some one's lively hood, there is a way of saying it rite and saying it wrong..you say it wrong. regardless of the truth or lie or positive or negative there is just a way to say something you know? Instead of talking like you did on your apache comment you could say something "well I don't care it as much as I do the B52, but I heard it in a loud meet location and may need a second listen in a quite room like I heard Billys setup.." something like that.
Why? I mean, the fan boys don't say, "well, I'm in love with XXX gear, so take what I say with a grain of salt"...