silver plated copper wire from navships

sbelyo

Hasy anyone used the silver plated copper wire from navships on ebay?  I just picked up 10 ft of shielded 3 conductor 24 AWG stranded SPC.  I'm going to use it as hookup wire and maybe balanced interconnects.  Has anyone had any experiences with it?

I got tired of stripping the jacket and shield off of the canare star quad stuff.  I wasn't about to pay $6 - $8 a foot for silver hook up wire.  I'll save that stuff for after everything is built and the wiring is the last thing to tweak

I have accumulated quite a lot of that stuff and I'm generally very happy. The only minor annoyance is that it's mostly surplus stuff, so getting consistent colors can be a problem. No problem with the quality though - and yes, once you get used to teflon jacketed it's very hard to go back :blink:

//UFN

I prefer buying Belden spc Teflon coated hook-up wire. It's roughly the same cost (but you have to buy 50 or 100ft lengths), and it is properly labeled and you can check the specs, whereas with the resellers and surplus sellers, it's difficult/impossible to verify. That said, I have only had good experiences with navships and bulkwire.com.

• Like 1

I usually search on eBay for MIL-16878 for silver plated wires (same stuffs navships sells).  Some sellers sell bulk rolls (500ft-1000ft) at steep discount prices.  There are spec sheets for MIL-16878 wires somewhere on the web.  There are listed voltage ratings which handy as a reference for HV hookups.  I use this stripper for teflon, works fine even for 16 awg:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IBOP70/    

I bought some precision wire strippers from Engineer on my last trip to Japan. Not really cheap, but excellent quality and they have no problems with teflon-coated wire. 

FWIW everything I can recall actually handling from Engineer has felt like it is excellent quality.

//UFN

Those look nice...  I like that they have a model that goes down to 34 awg stranded.  I just added them to my amazon list.  Looks like they're $28

I picked up the Ideal 45-120 and 45-125 off Amazon prime.  They were the cheapest.  They should be here by Friday.  We'll see how they work