Equation

qazwsx

okay, this asshole dandi registered in jan. 02 and has 246 posts. He hasn't done SHIT since he joined head-fi but sell gear in the marketplace. All the sudden in 2007 he decides to start pimping equation gear?

yes i went through all his posts. :police:

And what the hell is this at the bottom of his "all praise is due to the one true headphone rp22" post?

RE: Prices for Equation products.

Equation Audio has a fresh and commendable approach to marketing their product. It's independent, it is grass roots, it is old school and it is great value to performance pricing. Please help keep independence alive by allowing your local Equation Audio dealer to deal directly with each customer. DON'T POST PRICES ON THIS THREAD (check out the posts by Sybrsound )

fresh and commendable approach? so don't post prices in this thread? what the fuck?

of course I've never heard the phones but the above bullshit doesn't exactly inspire my confidence.

I'm not really sure about this brand in general. There's thread after thread about the RP21, apparently blows away anything under $100. And the problem is a majority of those people that are saying this haven't heard much else, if anything at all.

And now I'm realizing why everyone here hates Head-Fi, it's the ability to pimp headphones to a mindless crowd. For example, someone made a HD485 thread saying "these are the best headphones ever" and I simply stated the eH350 are better in comparison, specifically in mids. Then they state they are going to now rush out and buy them, and of course I stop them like the kind person I am and say "try them out first--they are in completely different sound signatures from 485" (becuase they are) Now what would happened if I didn't post that? Even in mid-fi gear...damn. :-\

I expect them to perform at their pricepoint, whatever the hell that is. I remember a craze way back when over the Sony CD780 (I think), which was an under $100 headphone said to be better than the Senn 580/600 and the best damn thing around. I eventually heard one after the buzz died and it turned out to be crap. Then the Audio Technica A900 craze hit and it was said to best 'phones costing twice as much, it was of course a bust and philodox and I had a big part in popping the bubble, I think I also got a ban out of that one.

Based on my past experiences with trends like this, I'd stay the hell away for now, then pick up the phones for cheap when the bubble bursts and people start dumping them.

I expect them to perform at their pricepoint, whatever the hell that is. I remember a craze way back when over the Sony CD780 (I think), which was an under $100 headphone said to be better than the Senn 580/600 and the best damn thing around. I eventually heard one after the buzz died and it turned out to be crap. Then the Audio Technica A900 craze hit and it was said to best 'phones costing twice as much, it was of course a bust and philodox and I had a big part in popping the bubble, I think I also got a ban out of that one.

Based on my past experiences with trends like this, I'd stay the hell away for now, then pick up the phones for cheap when the bubble bursts and people start dumping them.

Didn't that happen to Vibes? Half a year ago they were amazing and now "they just plain suck, get something else"

That's what happens all day long on head-fi.

I remember when I joined I was instructed to buy the HD212 even though I had a budget of about $100. I bought it, said what the fuck is this?

I've been cynical of that place ever since. I can't even stand going there anymore. This place is a breath of fresh air, that really, has kept me in the hobby.

Didn't that happen to Vibes? Half a year ago they were amazing and now "they just plain suck, get something else"

this is why I buy so much old gear, lol. I have bought all my gear unheard, based purely on others' descriptions. basically if it was the FOTM in 2002, and today nobody talks shit about it, I figure it must be true. :D

That's what happens all day long on head-fi.
I hope that the Stereophile guys read Head-Fi and fall for that crap, and then get burned on it, and realize how terribly FOTM-ly Head-Fi is, and totally give up on it.

But then, that would be expecting spontaneous cynicism where there isn't any. They're chummy with everyone, aren't they?

Oh, well, one can dream.

Ok, it isn't all hype... and, I _partially_ sold the Denon 5000 because I already had the RP-21. Actually my disclaimer was that I wanted plane cans that I didn't as much care IFF TSA (or some other quasi security org) happened to hold them at an airport, and something that didn't need an amp. So, for ~$120 for the phones and pads, I'm all in. They do team up well with the Zen Vision.

Now, how will they sound with my Millett Max (wip)? Probably not good enough to keep me from revisiting the Denons (probably the 2000, with an Alex recable), but we'll see. Since this will be primarily for the office, again, first and foremost is that I wouldn't miss them if someone snatches / borrows / pukes on them.

NOT in the HD600 category, but solid closed phones, though they won't get any time at home for damn sure.