Do I set out looking for an R10?

deepak

I was agreeing with tkam and Humanflyz opinions and was feeling quite despondent and fustrated listening to them out of the DHA3000.

However, listening to an R10 with a Yamamoto HA-02 has made me feel a lot happier! Bass, lots of it! Foot tapping music! They're like another headphone.

The treble is a little more recessed and sound is a little more closed in but I suspect that's more to do with the DAC on my EMU 1212m than the amp.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha - nice :P

I can only conclude I have a 'bassy' pair of R10's (Serial No. 412).

Listening to Massive Attack's Mezzanine or Leftfield's Rhythm & Stealth, the bass is definitely there. Not overpowering, but certainly not (too) recessed.

I think Dusty's point is that while you can certainly system-tune R10s to have adequate bass to make bass-heavy music enjoyable, you can't change them into a 100 percent completely different headphone. To use a science example, suppose you have two completely separate systems for each headphone, and in each system we assume that you have spent enough time and money equally on both such that one can reasonably claim that you have managed to wring out all the potential there is in each headphone, maximizing their strenghs while minimizing their weaknesses:

1) System A: completely tuned for the K1000s

2) System B: completely tuned for the L3000s

While System A would conceivably yield the best bass response out of the K1000s that is reasonably possible, it would still not match the bass response of system B, which is not to say that system A cannot provide enough bass response to make bass-heavy music very satisfying to listen to.

At least, that's what I think Dusty is trying to say.

Whack it with some Nelly Furtado, "Loose" is probably my favourite album for checkin' out the bass beats.

Too bad that album blows.

Bass? The Crystal Method: Tweekend. Track 1 has the most bass I have ever heard. And I don't judge bass from headphones. 3000 watts into two 15" subs creates bass, not two 42mm drivers being fed 1/8 watt.

Outside of "Say it Right," bass beats may be all this turd of an album has to offer... ::)

Pretty much, I have the album for bass beats and that's about it.

It's not even good for blasting in my car and scaring old people, I'll probably have to borrow my friend's gagsta rap for that shit.

[me=Dusty Chalk]shrugs off JBLoudG20 as an idiot[/me]

...which is kind of funny, considering my stance on R10's. Oh, well, such is the duality of human nature.

I have to say, I agree that you can't really do bass right with any headphones. It's not physically possible to cause heart murmurs with headphones.

I have to say, I agree that you can't really do bass right with any headphones. It's not physically possible to cause heart murmurs with headphones.

Thank you. Dusty Cunt is really the idiot. I don't listen to headphones when I want to hear bass, just like I don't listen to my car system when I want to hear smooth, detailed sound.

Thank you. Dusty Cunt is really the idiot. I don't listen to headphones when I want to hear bass, just like I don't listen to my car system when I want to hear smooth, detailed sound.

Naw, peter's not an idiot. He just likes something different in music than you do.

Heart murmurs == felt bass; I was talking about hearing bass -- I agree it's not the same as standing in front of a subwoofer at a concert, but I wear earplugs at concerts, which reduces the volume to similar levels that I listen to on headphones, if not slightly louder. So if we're talking about purely hearing the bass, I stand by my disagreement. Getting bass any louder out of headphones will only make you go deaf faster. I find headphone bass and speaker bass at the same level of listening perfectly comparable. The volumes at which one would have to listen to feel visceral bass I wouldn't dare listen at, on headphones. If I want that, I go to concerts, but I wear earplugs, so it's a totally different experience, one which I am not attempting on my home rig, headphone or speaker based listening.

• 2 months later...

Yes yes, the R10's are horrible horrible headphones. Keep spreading the word.

The prices need to come down a lot so I can buy another pair, preferrably the bassier one. (even though I have serial #444 which seems to be the lighter bass one.)

I remember reading some head-fi thread that was going on about the number four being a bad thing in some Asian cultures. Just think about it. Your headphones might be triple cursed.