What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

Sorry, no pic. But I had the second half of a mushroom sandwich I ordered at the brewpub with Al and Claire last night.

Lightly battered and fried hen of the woods mushrooms, caramelized onion jam and arugula, on a delicious roll.

Delicious. 

BTW,  why isn't anyone asking me why I'm not fat?

• Haha 3

Holy smokes that looks AMAZING, tyrion!

I'll need to dust off my Pitts & Spitts smoker I've had for decades.  It usually sees a lot of action ahead of Thanksgiving during our neighborhood Turkey Fry.  If it gets a touch cooler down here I may just need to do a pork butt in the next few weeks...

HS

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 11:26 AM, HemiSam said:

Holy smokes that looks AMAZING, tyrion!

I'll need to dust off my Pitts & Spitts smoker I've had for decades.  It usually sees a lot of action ahead of Thanksgiving during our neighborhood Turkey Fry.  If it gets a touch cooler down here I may just need to do a pork butt in the next few weeks...

HS

A few Thanksgivings ago, I did a fried turkey and a smoked turkey. The smoked turkey was preferred over the fried, which surprised me. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tyrion said:

A few Thanksgivings ago, I did a fried turkey and a smoked turkey. The smoked turkey was preferred over the fried, which surprised me. 

A good smoked turkey is hard to beat, especially when brined and managed properly.  

A good fried turkey is hard to beat as well, but I have found it's very easy to miss the mark and more so than I assumed initially given the "frying".  

We'll do ~35 turkeys for the "neighborhood" the day before thanksgiving and one of them will be mine.  I always have a backup now...LOL, and last year it was a smoked one.  

I don't fry the turkeys...I just smoke the ribs...at least 9 racks of oversized Costco "baby backs".  It's a bit much keeping them cooking evenly, but with a goodly amount of beverages flowing...first world problems!

HS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1